B4J Question B4J app from Windows to Linux

Wien.Mart

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello All,

I have been trying to make an app with multiple forms (GUI) to work on Linux. I am using Rocky Linux (RL) since this is closest to CentOS 8 (I am a newbie to Linux and I have a lot of learning to do). I installed java 11 downloaded from B4X site as well as the B4J-bridge.jar and it seems to be working after a lot of tries. Finally, I see on the terminal that I am connected. I use a windows machine to connect to the bridge to RL. I got the message below on B4J IDE:

WARNING: package com.sun.glass.ui.win not in javafx.graphics

I did some more searching and added the line

#VirtualMachineArgs: --add-opens javafx.graphics/com.sun.glass.ui=ALL-UNNAMED

in the Region Project Attributes and run in release mode. I got another error

Unrecognized option: --add-opens javafx.graphics/com.sun.glass.ui=ALL-UNNAMED
Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.
Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.

May I ask, where am I going wrong or what do I need to add. I see in tutorials that members are able to run their creations in Mac, Raspberry Pi and Linux.

Thank you in advance.

Warm regards,

Martin

Wien.Mart

Licensed User
Longtime User
What is tested by me so far is on Ubuntu Linux 20.04 LTS.
I am not sure which version of Rocky Linux you are running. I would suggest you use the desktop environment (DE) which is running on X11 display server and see is the problem gone.
May I know any reason you picked up Rocky Linux?
@aeric
We are using RHEL in our production environment. CentOS 8 development has ended. Next best to CentOS 8 is Rocky Linux. I am a newbie to Linux and am discovering a lot of quirks and issues. I wanted to learn a linux flavor that is very near our production environment, learning a database engine in linux and learning B4J and B4A at the same time. Three birds ... one stone ... 🤔 if that is possible.

Upvote 0

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
@aeric
We are using RHEL in our production environment. CentOS 8 development has ended. Next best to CentOS 8 is Rocky Linux. I am a newbie to Linux and am discovering a lot of quirks and issues. I wanted to learn a linux flavor that is very near our production environment, learning a database engine in linux and learning B4J and B4A at the same time. Three birds ... one stone ... 🤔 if that is possible.
Take your time. I suggest you use B4J to learn B4X. You can do a quick test using Console (Non-UI) app without firing up an emulator or connect to a real Android device.

I think Rocky Linux and AlmaLinux are quite new. Maybe you may try Fedora or OpenSUSE which also based from Red Hat.

Upvote 0

Wien.Mart

Licensed User
Longtime User
@aeric .... thank you. I shall try different distros of linux to see what works best for my use.

Thanks too Erel, tchart and xulihang.

Upvote 0

rboeck

Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

Wien.Mart

Licensed User
Longtime User
@Reinhard

Thank you for the informative link above ... I shall proceed to download, install and test.

Thanks,

Martin

ps ... Auslander who used to be from Vienna, still work in Vienna, now live in LA too ... hi neighbor. =)

Upvote 0