B4J Tutorial B4J HowTo's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear All,

While learning and exploring B4J, captured B4J HowTos. The B4J HowTos are either from own experience or inspired by hints from the B4J forum (Thanks to All!).

Please note, due to other commitments, the B4J HowTos are not regularly updated, information might not cover solutions possible with the latest B4J version.

The content layout is generated by Look4How a Open Source Knowledge Management Application written in B4J

IMPORTANT (June 07, 2018)
The B4J HowTos are not online available anymore, but can be downloaded (v201806079). To install: unzip to a folder of choice and open index.htm.
Updates are made on the fly and not posted, so check this post from time-to-time.

Enjoy B4J (B4X) like I do.

Last edited:

B4JExplorer

Licensed User
Longtime User
B4J HowTos Updated Jun 21, 2016: Read News first. Total 1052 HowTos, 136 Examples.

Notes
Slowed down a bit in developing new B4J HowTos as been focussing on the new B4R development tool - for which I developed in the mean time 31 sample experiments (go here, select B4X > B4R > Sample Experiments). Some of the B4R experiments show the integration between B4R and B4J - one of the great B4X power features.
Good luck, rw.

rwblinn

Licensed User
Longtime User
B4J HowTos Updated Sep 30, 2016: Read News first. Total 1082 HowTos, 142 Examples.

Notes
  • Been a while since last update = working on my IoT Lighthouse58 project - many learnings included in the B4J HowTos.
  • The B4J HowTos are shown in new format, when selecting from my homepage > B4X > B4J HowTos. Included is a handy drop down select box.

Last edited:

DMW

Licensed User
Longtime User
For me You site is a great introduction to B4J :) The way You have organized it makes it accessible in a simple way.
However, when You add more contest I believe You will define new subgroups to keep it structurally and simple :)

rwblinn

Licensed User
Longtime User
B4J HowTos Updated Oct 10, 2016: Read News first. Total 1085 HowTos, 145 Examples.

This update is mainly for the Custom Views. Based on the help and learning from this thread (Post #48) and the B4A User Guide (think a must read also for B4Jers).
See Custom View Sample Projects: 119 Select File Text Field, 118 Numeric Spinner, 117 Number Text Field, 116 Labeled Text Field, 115 Clear Text Field.

@DMW: The B4J HowTo structure has been growing & growing over time, did not expect that at the early B4J days > B4J has become so powerful (and almost never ending in exploring its functionality) = so yes indeed need to look into and review ... and thanks for the appreciation = keeps me motivated ;)

rwblinn

Licensed User
Longtime User
Update Nov 11, 2017

Almost a year ago since last notified update. So much happening.

IMPORTANT: Major change in layout based on W3.CSS - look here.
The content layout is generated by Look4How an Open Source Knowledge Management Application written in B4J. The database B4JHowTo.l4h is included in the source.
It took a while to find a replacement for my old Delphi application which was used to generate the HowTos BUT finally, after exploring several options decided to go for, OF COURSE, a B4J Open Source Application.
Each howto has its own fixed HTML page. So any reference is now static instead of previous dynamic.

B4JExplorer

Licensed User
Longtime User
Dear All,

While learning and exploring B4J, captured B4J HowTos. The B4J HowTos are either from own experience or inspired by hints from the B4J forum (Thanks to All!).

Please note, due to other commitments, the B4J HowTos are not regularly updated, information might not cover solutions possible with the latest B4J version.

The content layout is generated by Look4How a Open Source Knowledge Management Application written in B4J

The B4J HowTos are not online available anymore, but can be downloaded (v201806079). To install: unzip to a folder of choice and open index.htm.
Updates are made on the fly and not posted, so check this post from time-to-time.

The index displays the topics, but not the content. You can search through the htm files, of course, and then display them individually. But you can't use index.htm as a table of contents.

rwblinn

Licensed User
Longtime User
The index displays the topics, but not the content. You can search through the htm files, of course, and then display them individually. But you can't use index.htm as a table of contents.

This seems to be an issue with the browser used.

Another user had also reported this issue lately ... so far do not have a solution for it (might have to do with W3.CSS framework - possibly need to change to another framework).

The HowTo index and js onclick script for the menu works with Firefox (Quantum browser engine), it doesn't work with Chrome, Opera or Torch browser's or any other browser using the Blink browser engine.

B4JExplorer

Licensed User
Longtime User
This seems to be an issue with the browser used.

Another user had also reported this issue lately ... so far do not have a solution for it (might have to do with W3.CSS framework - possibly need to change to another framework).

The HowTo index and js onclick script for the menu works with Firefox (Quantum browser engine), it doesn't work with Chrome, Opera or Torch browser's or any other browser using the Blink browser engine.

Got it, thanks Robert.

afields

Licensed User
hello to all! i had installed that very good mind remember and i had the same problem as described in
however ( there's always a however) i thought... well this is a set of html pages with a index as first entry. so what i've done:
To have that superb mind remember in the desktop computer i had installed it in a directory under localhost. and it works as expected...
and also ( and it's new) i've found in gloogle play a apache http server ( by apache) for android which i had installed. now if i iniciate the http server i've got the same as in the desktop computer!
Thanks to all

Peter Gonzalez

Licensed User
Dear All,

Thank you Rob! This can resolve possible issues since I'm new to B4X myself.

-Peter G

Status
Not open for further replies.