Other B4J v3.5 beta is available for download

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
B4J v3.50 BETA is now available for download:
www.b4x.com/b4j/files/beta.exe

A new visual designer was added to B4J, similar to B4A and B4i designers.

SS-2015-07-23_15.10.31.png

The visual designer is made of two components: IDE designer and WYSIWYG designer.

The designer supports anchors, variants and designer script features. Note that "auto scale" is not supported.

The new designer will make it simpler for B4A and B4i developers to develop cross platform desktop applications with B4J.

Requirements

The WYSIWYG designer requires Java 8.20+. It is recommended to download and use the latest JDK:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk8-downloads-2133151.html
Don't forget to update the configured javac under Tools - Configure Paths.

New methods:
  • ScrollPane.LoadLayout - Loads a layout file as the ScrollPane content.
  • TabPane.LoadLayout - Creates a new tab with the layout file as its content.
  • Node.PrefWidth / PrefHeight / SetSize - Methods to set the width and height of nodes. Supports all types of nodes.
  • Node.Snapshot2 - Similar to Node.Snapshow. Allows setting the background color (instead of the default white background).
Backwards compatibility

Pane will not be resized automatically based on its child nodes. You can switch to AnchorPane as a workaround.
Scene Builder is still supported.

This is a beta version. Make sure to backup your projects before loading them in the new version.

Please do not post issues in this thread. Start a new thread instead.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
It seem's to be aiming to be just like B4A, but not addressing things that are holding it back as a 'proper' Java platform.
For example, you cannot produce a war file, as there are certain structures used that prevent this ( static { ..... } blocks ).
There is no option to use the latest Java constructs ( lambda's, diamond operators etc) as you cannot override the default -source & -target args of javac.
Don't get me wrong, when I first started using B4J, it was the best thing I had found, now I hit barriers that prevent generating good Java code.

i am not familiar with all the possibilities java offers but i am happy i can make (for free) apps in a windows pc in VB language and use it on my mac :)

but i understand what you mean and from my experience you can expect big updates in the future on all 3 platforms (b4a,b4i,b4j) erel releases allmost every 2-3 month a new update... anyway you can add your wishes to the wish list (erel take those wishes seriously...)

Upvote 0

tuhatinhvn

Licensed User
Longtime User
visual designer, we can make interface for app ->Great
But can it use this interface in webapp B4J, i dont know any thing about HTML and CSS????

Upvote 0

Daestrum

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
But can it use this interface in webapp B4J, i dont know any thing about HTML and CSS????
This is a brilliant idea, if the new designer produced HTML pages instead, that could be used in webapp applications, the IDE would be complete.

Upvote 0

Roger Daley

Licensed User
Longtime User
Very interesting, porting Apps to the PC Etc.:cool:
I don't supose there is a beginners guide in the pipe line? [Java for Idiots for example]. I was thinking a transition path for B4A users who thought Java was a synonym for coffee would be good. [Probably harder than producing B4J itself]:confused:

Roger

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
B4J is not Java. You do not need to know Java.

It seem's to be aiming to be just like B4A, but not addressing things that are holding it back as a 'proper' Java platform
B4J is not a Java platform.

My honest opinion, the more it becomes like B4A the less I like it and the less useful it is to me.
I appreciate your opinion. As I see it, B4A, B4i and B4J should be similar as possible.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tdocs2

Licensed User
Longtime User
Erel,

That is GREAT!!!!!! This was one of the greatest stumbling blocks of B4J... I hope that B4J can now become a proprietary product for Anywhere Software..

I liked Ilan's comment (b4w =Windows 10):

Simplicity will always win over complexity... ;) (wating for b4w...)

And the more transparency that is achieved. the better off.

Sandy

Upvote 0

LWGShane

Licensed User
Longtime User
Icons in new version are hard to find ...a bit more ugly than the previous ones ...

I'm assuming you're talking about the theme for apps. If you are, then just un-comment this line and you'll be using the default JavaFX theme.
B4X:
MainForm.SetFormStyle("UNIFIED")

Correct me if my assumption is wrong though ;)

Upvote 0

hookshy

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm assuming you're talking about the theme for apps. If you are, then just un-comment this line and you'll be using the default JavaFX theme.

I am refering to IDE b4j icons

I search for run button long before i press it ...it is small and ugly ....other icons as well

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hookshy

Licensed User
Longtime User
b4j 3.50

edit> outlining > colapse all is not working ! ..is this a bug to new version released ?

find and replace had this ceckbox with option ...selection or entire document now it is more hard to select from spiner
The toast message that showed how many elements were replaced were very important

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LWGShane

Licensed User
Longtime User
I am refering to IDE b4j icons

I search for run button long before i press it ...it is small and ugly ....other icons as well
Sorry bout that ;)

Works fine here. Anyway please start a new thread for any question or issue you have.
Works fine here too.

Upvote 0

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
apparently not (yet) , I don't see an option to select my previously created fxml file into the built-in designer.

Upvote 0