Android Tutorial [B4X] CloudKVS - synchronized key / value store

CloudKVS solves a difficult and common problem. The user needs to work with online data, however as this is a mobile app we cannot assume that the device will always be connected to the remote server.

SS-2016-02-15_13.23.32.png

With CloudKVS the app always works with a local database. If the device can connect to the remote server then the local store will be synchronized with the online store.

The store is implemented as a key/value store. It is similar to a persistent Map collection.
The values are serialized with B4XSerializator.
The following types are supported as values:
Lists, Maps, Strings, primitives (numbers), user defined types and arrays (only arrays of bytes and arrays of objects are supported).
Custom types should be declared in the main module.
Including combinations of these types (a list that holds maps for example).

This is a cross platform solution. The clients can be implemented with B4A, B4i or B4J and the data can be shared between the different platforms.
Note that ClientKVS class source code is exactly the same on all three platforms.

Working with ClientKVS is almost as simple as working with a regular Map.

User field

To allow more flexibility items are grouped by a "user" field.
For example:
B4X:
ckvs.Put("User1", "Key1", 100)
Log(ckvs.Get("User1", "Key1")) '100
Log(ckvs.GetDefault("User2", "Key1", 0)) '0 because User2/Key1 is different than User1/Key1

The synchronization (from the remote store to the local store) is based on the user field.
The SetAutoRefresh method sets the user(s) that will be fetched from the remote store.

For example if we want to auto-synchronize the data of "User1":
B4X:
ckvs.SetAutoRefresh(Array("User1"), 5)
You can pass multiple users in the array. The second parameter is the interval measured in minutes.
This means that the client will check for new data every 5 minutes.
New data in this case means data that was uploaded from other clients.
The NewData event is raised when new data was fetched from the remote server.
Note that auto-refresh is not relevant for local updates. Local updates are uploaded immediately (if possible).

Multiple clients can use the same 'user name'.

Defaults

GetDefaultAndPut:
B4X:
Dim Score As Int = ckvs.GetDefaultAndPut ("User1", "Score", 0)
If there is a User1/Score value in the local store then it will be returned. Otherwise it will return 0 and also put 0 in the store.
This is useful as it allows us later in the program to get the score with: ckvs.Get("User1", "Score").
Defaults put in the store are treated specially. If there is already a non-default value in the remote store then the default value will not overwrite the non-default value. The non-default value will be synchronized to the local store once there is a connection.

Notes & Tips

- CloudKVS is fault tolerant. The local store includes a 'queue' store which holds the changes that were not yet synchronized.
- For performance reasons it is better to use larger values (made of maps or lists) than to use many small items.
- In B4A it is recommended to initialize ClientKVS in the Starter service.
- The B4J server project can run as is. It accepts a single command line argument which is the port number. If you want to run it on a VPS: https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/60378/#content
- In the examples the auto refresh interval is set to 0.1 (6 seconds). In most cases it is better to use larger intervals (1 minute+).
- The keys and user names are case sensitive.
- On older versions of Anrdoid there is a limit of 2mb per field. You will see the following error if you try to put a larger value: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Couldn't read row 0, col 0 from CursorWindow

Projects

The three client projects and the server project are attached.
If you want to add this feature to an existing project then you need to add:
1. CloudKVS and CallSubUtils modules.
2. The two custom types Item and Task to the main module.
3. The following libraries are required: SQL, RandomAccessFile and HttpUtils2.

The server project depends on jBuilderUtils library. The library is attached.

Development Test Server

You can use this link for the ServerUrl during development:
https://www.b4x.com:51041/cloudkvs
Note that the messages are limited to 100k and more importantly the database is deleted every few days. The clients will stop updating after the database is deleted. You can delete the local database (or uninstall and install the app again) for the clients to work again.
Remember to use unique ids for the user value.

Attachments

• B4J_ServerKVS.zip
    2.8 KB · Views: 2,041
  • B4i_ClientKVS.zip
    8.7 KB · Views: 1,193
  • jBuilderUtils.zip
    2.3 KB · Views: 2,488
  • B4J_ClientKVS.zip
    6.4 KB · Views: 1,545
  • B4A_ClientKVS.zip
    11.6 KB · Views: 2,064
Last edited:

luke2012

Licensed User
Longtime User
Within the server db I see that the deleted items (put with Null as Value) still there.
So I think that it's a logical deletion. All deleted items will be preserved within the server db and never (phisically) deleted ?

luke2012

Licensed User
Longtime User
Can I use the test / development server as demo server for my customers ?
So if a user ask me for a demo Of my app I let him download the client app (my customized app) that use the b4x test server ?

Last edited:

luke2012

Licensed User
Longtime User
I want to push my CloudKVS Client App to PlayStore but I wish to implement a license checking system.
I'm thinking to implement Licensing library within my Client App.

Is there any problem or limitation to do this within an CloudKVS Client App ?

luke2012

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi All,
I have two b4j web servers (CloudKVS & DataCollectionServer) running on a linux machine.
How to stop a specific server (for example started as "java -jar kvs_server.jar") and let the other server running ?

luke2012

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Erel.
I don't known how to estimate the (right) HW requirements (CloudKVS Server) to support a B4X Cloud with many users.

For example, my new customer ask me to implement a solution based on the KVS Cloud with this requirements:

1) An Android CloudKVS Client (Customer) that can put many items (each item is a type with about 10 fields).
2) The Cloud must be accessible by 1000 users (customers) from WWW.
3) The AutoRefresh is set to 0.01

Is there a way to estimate the hardware requirements based on the current version of CloudKVS solution ?

Thanks in advance for the reply.

luke2012

Licensed User
Longtime User
B4J server performance is very good: https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/server-performance-measures.37502/#content
CloudKVS is a B4J server and should be able to handle many connected clients easily.

The reference system where the test was made is "Core i5, 8gb ram. The hard disk is quite fast (not SSD)": (https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/server-performance-measures.37502/#content).

So the PI boards (also last version) is not suitable for a Cloud with thousands of users (from 1000 to 5000) ?

PhiloSophical

Licensed User
I have installed the example client project in post#1 - but am getting this error logged:-

Error sending task: javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: java.security.cert.CertPathValidatorException: Trust anchor for certification path not found.

This when connecting to https://www.b4x.com:51041/cloudkvs

Running on a Nexus 10. - B4A 6.5 - OkHhtputils2 version 2.20

Any thoughts?