[B4X] Markdown to Attributed String

Discussion in 'iOS Code Snippets' started by nwhitfield, Sep 8, 2019.

1. nwhitfield

nwhitfield Active Member Licensed User

As promised, here is the small code module and snippets that I use to turn markdown text stored on my server to attributed strings. This method splits the load between server and client app and is by no means a full Markdown / CommonMark implementation. But for basic headings, unnumbered lists, and emphasis, it does the job. Server side, this is how I prepare an item ( $newsitem['storyText'] is a news item, with markdown formatting; Parsedown is the PHP library I use on the site. Link detection is set up only to work will fully marked up links, ie the [title here](url here) sort)

Code:
    $parser = new Parsedown() ;
    $newsitem[
    'richtext'] = strip_tags($parser->text($newsitem['storyText']),'<b><i><em><strong><li><h1><h2><h3><h4><h5><h6>') ;

// get an 
    array of links and descriptions from the markdown
    $buttons = 
    array() ;
    if ( preg_match_all('/\[([^]]*)\] *\(([^)]*)\)/i',$newsitem['storyText'],$matches,PREG_SET_ORDER) > 0 ) {
        foreach ( $matches as $match ) {
            $buttons[] = 
    array'title' => $match[1], 'destination' => $match[2]) ;
        }
    }

if ( count($buttons) > 0 ) {
        $newsitem['buttons'] = $buttons ;
    }
    The data is passed to my app as JSON; so, the news item will be a map, and the 'richtext' key contains stripped down HTML. The buttons key is a list of links found in the text, and their names, which can be added to a menu.

The attached html2cs does the work using CSBuilder; it could probably be tided up a bit and turned into a class. It would also be easy-ish to support other tags, but note that it's quick and dirty and depends on each one having a distinct first character. Using it is very simple; newsBody is a label:

Code:
    html2cs.fontbase = 16
    newsBody.AttributedText = html2cs.formatString(n.Get(
    "richtext"))
    As I say, it's a bit quick and dirty, but if you have Markdown/CommonMark formatting on a server and want to use the same data in app, this gives you some basic compatibility, should work on B4A as well, and doesn't require implementing a whole Markdown library within your app.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  2. nwhitfield

nwhitfield Active Member Licensed User

The html2cs.bas file has been updated with some conditional compilation tags and will now work on both B4i and B4A.

The code has a new parameter, on B4A only, for the typeface, called 'default'

Code:
    Public default As Typeface = Typeface.DEFAULT
    Note that on Android, there's no separate 'attributed string' attribute, so you just say

Code:
    newsBody.text = html2cs.formatString(n.Get("richtext"))

Peter Simpson and Erel like this.
  3. Erel

Erel Administrator Staff Member Licensed User

Good job!
    I've added [B4X] to the thread title. This tells the search engine and the users that this thread is relevant to all products.

Peter Simpson and nwhitfield like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice