B4J Question [BANano] Beginning Serial Port Communications

Mashiane

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi there..

I am trying to convert this code here as a start..

1652267282475.png

I don't have a serial port also. :rolleyes:

I have attached a BANano Project to indicate my trial, a trial and error exercise. Its BANanoObject and then some await! you can imagine!

Please take a look and test. Thanks in advance.

#Checking For a Friend.

Attachments

• TestingSerialPorts.zip
    2.9 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:

alwaysbusy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
This API is extremely experimental. I have tried it unsuccessful myself to read some barcode scanner in the past. The furthest I got was being able to see and connect to one but nothing beyond that. And even for this to work I had to use a hack on the driver of the barcode scanner (not using the driver delivered by the the company, but another experimental one that replaced the Windows default driver). Big hassle.

Only a very limited number of devices appear to be compatible with this API as they have to do some implementation themselves on the device e.g. the 'getReader' method was not even available on that barcode scanner.

Alwaysbusy

Upvote 0

alwaysbusy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Never used it as this would require for us for each client to run his own server app which we did not want. So now we have a small app written in another language that does the barcode scanner readout and then it uses a REST API to send this data to our server app. Could probably be done in B4J but for that part we decided to use something else.

Upvote 0

Mashiane

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks to AB, there is some light into this...

Upvote 0