Basic4ppc for Android, what do you think?

marathon332

Licensed User
Longtime User
Erel, you are reading my mind...

Android has the fastest growing user base right now. Also, many new slate computers similar (and better, eg. the WePad) to the iPad are coming out on Android, so if Basic4PPC would work on those devices as well as the new Android phones that would be awesome.

Frankly, if you don't do something like this, I will not be upgrading my copy of Basic4PPC.

It's a great program but WinMobile is either dead or dying so there's not much future in making software for those devices.

Last edited:

ExcludeReality

Licensed User
I recently got an Android device, and to use Basic4ppc on that platform would be awesome! But that would also mean I learned Java for nothing...

klaus

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I don't think that I would develop in the near future softare for Android because I have no device and I don't intend to buy one for the moment.
But it would for shure be a big improvement for B4PPC for the future, Android seems becoming a good alternative to WM. And with the uncertain future with WM7 I'm not sure that my next device would be WM device.

Best regards.

Last edited:

marathon332

Licensed User
Longtime User
Here are some recent stats regarding mobile web usage from Engadget that gives a better snapshot of what devices users are using most right now..

Stats: iPhone OS is still king of the mobile web space, but Android is nipping at its heels -- Engadget

Note that iPhone is on the decline while Android is gaining rapidly.

However, iPad is not reported here but I have seen reports that popular web sites are seeing up to 23 percent increase from iPad users in the last month..

Hope this helps the discussion...

BTW, I would be willing to help in any way to make a "Basic4Android" product become a reality...

--Steve

dlfallen

Licensed User
Longtime User
The only reason I have a Windows Mobile device is because of basic4ppc. I have been following the WM7 storyline and have concluded I would probably keep my current device until it broke or I lost it. Then I would have no alternatives other than learning another programming language.

If basic4ppc were available for the Android it would be great for me because then I could upgrade my phone at will.

The other thing you might consider is that having basic4ppc available for the Android would open up this wonderful program (and community!) to a whole new set of users.

Amalkotey

Licensed User
Longtime User
Basic4PPC would target platform Android I purchase immediately

Hi Erel,

I plan my projects for the Android operating system to offer. I would extend my license away if I could create executable programs for Windows Mobile and Android. How long will it take until a first version is available?

As an alternative I would have Java or Kylix (Delphi for Linux), which again would constitute new developments. Through a creation by Basic4PPC I could halve my development. Accordingly, I would immediately purchase a developer license.

best regards
Amalkotey

Last edited:

LineCutter

Licensed User
Longtime User
I agree with the others - WM is slowly grinding it's way toward the current state of the art. However, I think that the others will move on by the time it gets there.

I too have started exploring the choices for an Android OS based replacement to my current phone.

B4A would make that much easier for me - I could carry on using B4PPC for my own purposes & could write replacements for the things that I can't find yet.

How big a task would it be?? (I'm guessing that a near complete rewrite from scratch is in order)

Last edited:

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
How big a task would it be??
It is a complex task as the two platforms are completely different. I don't think that it will require a complete rewrite as there are parts like the parsing and the IDE which are less affected by the platform.

BTW, I do not intend it to be 100% multiplatform compatible, which means that you will have Windows Mobile projects and Android projects. But it will not be possible to target both platforms from the same project.
The code itself should be very similar.

pdablue

Licensed User
Longtime User
Basic4ppc for Android is a great idea !!!

More Android devices are appearing in the marketplace everyday.

Dell Computer just announced that it will be offering some new
phones that will run the Android Operating system.

More Android Cell phones, netbooks and slate/tablet computers are
appearing as time goes by.

It would be great if we could use Basic4ppc to write programs and
Apps for these devices.

How long would it take to write a version of Basic4ppc for Android?

How long would it take to write a "Setup Builder" for installing programs
and Apps ?

I am ready to buy a copy of Basic4ppc for Android today !

linum

Licensed User
I have customers asking me if I will ever port my programs for the Android platform, specially a law firm that states that most of their attorneys are now using Android handsets. I would seriously want to port my apps to Android if it were possible.

corwin42

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
What do you think about adding support for Android devices?
Do you plan to do Android development?

I don't think that B4PPC will run on Windows Phone 7 (as I know there is no .NET for WP7) and I think that Microsoft won't put much effort in further development of WM6.x.

So I'm thinking of an alternative for my WM Devices and I think that Android will be the first choice for me.

A B4PPC version for Android would be great then.

glook

Licensed User
Longtime User
Another vote!! - YES PLEASE - just starting to look in that direction. Android currently appears to have the most promising potential market for me. I've had several customer enquiries already.

I can absolutely see that this would be a major task - but "Basic4Droid" could be awesome!

I don't care about full compatability. Separate projects are fine. Separate IDEs would also be OK. The most important thing is the overall capability and "feel" of Basic4PPC. I can live with platform differences.

The main essential for me would be file and functional compatibility of SQLite.

It would be worth waiting for.

Regards,
Geoff.

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The main essential for me would be file and functional compatibility of SQLite.
That will be no problem as Android actually incorporates SQLite 3 and exposes an API for use by applications.

However don't anticipate it being available in the near future (just like a real Windows Phone 7 :)) as Erel hasn't really started work on it yet and it will be quite a major undertaking to get it to a useable form. I've had a brief email interchange with him about it (looks interesting :)) but I am not going to comment but leave to him to post any further information about the proposed product and timescales.

I had thought myself of not going the Android route, too much new to learn for an old head :(, but I have to admit that just maybe I'll get a Nexus One to play with, once I can afford the astonishing prices I've seen being asked for it :(.

specci48

Licensed User
Longtime User
I had thought myself of not going the Android route, too much new to learn for an old head :(
:sign0137: That would be a real loss for this community if Basic4Android comes really true sometime in the future.

@Erel: If you are truly going this way, please reserve an enterprise version for me... :)

specci48