Android Question Best current (2019) Location Provider

optimist

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello,
My apps currently use the GPS library. But I get complaints that other apps show the position quicker and in some cases more closely.

Of course, I first searched the forum. I found, besides GPS, also FusedLocationProvider and LocationManager. But both do not seem up to date.

All our Android devices have at least Android Oreo and GPS + Galileo (European Positioning System) + Glonass (Russian Positioning System) + Wifi + of course mobile radio.

So, in my opinion, a first inaccurate position must be available immediately from radio cell database. If the GPS library used QuickGPSfix and the other Sattelite-Systems, then the location could quickly become more accurate.

Google uses these possibilities somehow internally. You can see this for example in the fast, accurate position in Google maps.

Which current, future-proof library provides me with this information?
thank you in advance :)

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
FusedLocationProvider is your best option. It is based on Google Play Services so it will use the most updated SDK.
All our Android devices have at least Android Oreo and GPS + Galileo (European Positioning System) + Glonass (Russian Positioning System) + Wifi + of course mobile radio.
The OS will take care of providing you with the most accurate and quickest location provider. You don't need to deal with the various providers yourself.

Upvote 0