Black holes

Daestrum

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
They spent umpteen millions to get a picture that looks like a blurry Jammie Dodger biscuit. Why ?

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
looks like a heatmap of a fresh baked greeze vaporizing donut.

I wonder how it is possible to look that far from here.
When you move your telescope 1/1000th of a cm you are billions of km away from your last 'shot' at that distance.

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I am wondering why people spend billions to take a photo for a place they would never go.

Another thing, if light's reached us after millions of years, then the photo is already useless.

OliverA

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I am wondering why people spend billions to take a photo for a place they would never go.
To determine if theories about black holes are correct?
Another thing, if light's reached us after millions of years, then the photo is already useless.
How is the past useless? Again, one can confirm/revise/put to rest theories about black holes, about the creation of the universe, etc.

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
AFAIK, that's not a real photo, which couldn't be taken anyway due to the nature of a blackhole.
What we're observing is kind of an interpolation of a huge amount of data collected by some telescopes on Earth. So, it's most a representation of a blackhole than a real blackhole.
The exitement is mostly due to the fact they prove the existence of something called blackhole, a gigantic one. It's more like telling ourselves "we are on the right path" than "look, this is a BH".

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Who tells us that the "scientists" have not enjoyed the billionaire funds to then give to us... a simple graphic image created using a PC?

[Not really a great example but, and I turn to @udg, it's a bit like the Rousseau platform... who tells you that the final result is the real one?]

The real utility would be to be able to throw some people in some black hole :p

OliverA

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Who tells us that the "scientists" have not enjoyed the billionaire funds to then give to us... a simple graphic image created using a PC?
I do hope this was sarcasm...

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
To determine if theories about black holes are correct?

How is the past useless? Again, one can confirm/revise/put to rest theories about black holes, about the creation of the universe, etc.

You are a good believer Oliver : )
That was sarcastic comment

OliverA

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

Marcos Alves

Licensed User
Longtime User
juduojoc.jpeg

This is the secret of how they did the black hole photo.

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
the photo is blured and out of focus.. the bilionaire should denand a refund.

denik

Licensed User
Longtime User
They use black hole theories to get an image from the raw data that proves the validity of the black hole theories.