Android Question Blocked by Play Protect

Jakes72

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Guys,

When using the debug key for the Private sign key my app installs with no problem, but the minute I change it to use my own Private Key, the message 'Blocked by Play Protect' appears when someone tries to install the app on their device.

I am not sure what to put in the Private Sign Key fields as this is new for me and I am still learning, so for 'First and Last Name' I put my name and surname. For 'Organization' I put 'Phoenix Soft' and for 'Country' I put 'ZA'.
Now it saves the key fine and I click 'OK' to close the dialog, but the minute I go back into the Private Sign Key dialog, it changes the 3 above mentioned fields to 'Unknown' again, even though 'Load Existing Key' is selected and my file loads.

What am I doing wrong?

Many thanks for your time,
Regards,
Jacques.

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

Upvote 0

Jakes72

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Don. Thanks for the link, unfortuanetely this doesn't answer my question though. I have followed all those steps to make a key as I understand google does not accept 'debug' keys, but when I do that I get the error message and the fields go to 'Unknown'. The thing is that I have not tried to put it on google play store yet, I am merely trying to get it to install on a device. I copy the apk file directly to the device and run it with a file manager, then I get that error message. How can I fix this please?

Upvote 0

Acuario

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm having the same problem as Jakes72. I created my own key for my app and when I use B4A-Bridge to upload and install to my phone I get a message on my phone 'Blocked by Play Protect' Play protect doesn't recognize this developer. Apps from unknown developers can sometimes be unsafe' There are options 'Install Anyway' and OK. If I select 'Install Anyway' B4A reports 'App not installed'. I checked my phone settings and B4A-Bridge is allowed to install unknown apps.

Changing back to the debug key and I can successfully install the app.

Upvote 0

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm having the same problem as Jakes72. I created my own key for my app and when I use B4A-Bridge to upload and install to my phone I get a message on my phone 'Blocked by Play Protect' Play protect doesn't recognize this developer. Apps from unknown developers can sometimes be unsafe' There are options 'Install Anyway' and OK. If I select 'Install Anyway' B4A reports 'App not installed'. I checked my phone settings and B4A-Bridge is allowed to install unknown apps.

Changing back to the debug key and I can successfully install the app.
Another reason you may not be able to install the new app is that you have the previous app installed (that has the same packagename) but was signed with the old key.

If this is the case, then just uninstall the previous version of the app and then try doing a clean install of the new app so everything is in sync.

Last edited:
Upvote 0