Book about Basic4Android

Do you think about book about Basic4Android is a good idea?

• No, it's not needed

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

PhilipBrown

Licensed User
Longtime User
After reading comments by other developers and some discussion with Erel, I have volunteered to create and publish a book about Basic4Android. I’ve only been using the product for a couple of weeks but I am very enthusiastic about it and would love to see it more widely known and used.
I found it quite difficult to find the information I needed while developing my app, so I started writing my own notes. These will form the core of the book.

Klaus Christl has kindly allowed me to use parts of his Beginners Guide and Users Guide, and Erel is allowing me to use those parts of the forum he has written.

I am proposing to make the book as thorough as possible, and therefore would like to include references to a wide range of user-contributed Additional Libraries. I would like to give the classes and methods included in all the libraries (although there might be time restrictions on what I can achieve in the time – see below for publication date).

I wonder if anyone would object if I did this? Basically I would be copying some of the information from the library xml.

The planned publication date is 21 October 2013 to coincide with Droidcon London (Droidcon London 2012).

Later this summer I will be looking for volunteers to read the book and tell me where I have blundered or missed things out. It’s inevitable, and I want this book to do justice to this fabulous product.

If you would like to proof read it and tell me about errors please let me know at [email protected]

If you are prepared to write a review, so much the better. Reviews will be invaluable in gaining the confidence of prospective customers.
Anyone who does NOT want me to use their work, please let me know.

Further information about the book can be found at
Basic4Android | Penny Press

Last edited:

stevel05

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I have no problem with you copying XML's or anything else I've contributed if it helps.

barx

Licensed User
Longtime User
If your looking for honest opinions, here's mine. Me and other users have previously discussed the idea of a book before. And although I would love to see a publication, I personally was in 2 minds about it. Why, well the Android system in general is a fast paced development cycle. You look at most popular publications and you will be hard fetched to find a mention of JellyBean features. This is something that has recently stopped me purchasing a new Android book. Basic4Android, up until recently, has seen an even faster pace. Does this invalidate the book? yes and no. Obviously the core aspects, features and principles will remain constant. Also, it appears that the B4A cycle is more stable and so future releases probably won't be as often, nor as radical. The whole process is now maturing nicely and functionality is stable. So, good core coverage will keep the publication valid for time to come.

The thing you will need to be careful of is additional libraries / classes. Be sure to explain that these are down to 3rd parties, can update regularly and new one pop up all the time. Point to the library resources like the wiki, noting to check for new things. Make note of versions used as features of libraries can change.

On a more positive note, I look forward to seeing such a project put into place and I will more than likely be purchasing on release. I also, will be happy to proof read anything (although I don't have unlimited spare time ;))

I haven't put much usable info into the B4A ecosystem, but anything of mine you do find that may be useful, by all means use it.

Good luck with the task and I wish you success in the venture.

netchicken

Licensed User
Longtime User
Count me in feel free to use my student manual. It might give you ideas about topic areas. The more resources we have the better. I wouldlove to be a proofreader as well :)

HotShoe

Licensed User
Longtime User
Phil,

You should join the chat room to get a feel for what is needed/wanted and any help we can offer. The best imes seem to be between 5pm and midnight GMT.

Chat room

--- Jem

PhilipBrown

Licensed User
Longtime User
Count me in feel free to use my student manual. It might give you ideas about topic areas. The more resources we have the better. I wouldlove to be a proofreader as well :)

Hi Netchicken,

Many thanks for offer to proofread. I'll let you know when I have something to read.

I tried to find your student manual but failed. It sounds useful. Is it the one referred to at...

http://www.b4x.com/forum/basic4android-getting-started-tutorials/17542-absolute-beginners-guide-making-net-server-program.html

If so then the following link is broken.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q8q8r04ch4pz5wb/NetServer-5-May.pdf

Otherwise can you let me know where to find it.

Regards,

netchicken

Licensed User
Longtime User
Here we go.

Some students have been doing them this year, and i am about to update it and add new sections. However we have been having trouble with the older android versions and the new B4A v2.52.

This manual was written in a hurry, and really is below the standard I would usually have for a manual. I was just a few days ahead of the students when I wrote it

The purpose is to give them a taste of the different technologies that they can use in B4A so that they can make their own applications with a pick and mix of existing exercises.

When I rewrite it in a few weeks, I will add in "What if we...." sections to give extension exercises. There have been a heap of new features in the last year so I will add some of them in.

The biggest exercise is the SMS intercepter, which is my favorite, and a program that runs all the time on my phone, but the code is somewhat unwieldly to write about and that section is in definite need of repair.

I just realized that the urls for the online db are in the manual. Please don't use them, (to anyone using this manual) as its only for the students :) All you need is webhosting with phpmyadmin to make your own.

Some of the programs, like the Bikefit, are in the Google play store, just do a search for stuffucanuse to find them all. They survived the recent purge of 60K apps that Google deleted for being poor quality. :)

You made need the images for the bikefit and GPS, I'll try to upload them as well.

http://stuffucanuse.com/VB4A-April-2013.pdf

This technology definitely lends itself to schools and training colleges where people have a background in VB.net and want an easy avenue into android programming.

Last edited:

PhilipBrown

Licensed User
Longtime User
Update on progress of Basic4Android Book

The first draft of the book is finished and I'm now proof-reading. This will take about 2 weeks. I will then send it out to those who offered to review.

Reviewers will first get the complete book, so they can make comments about the overall structure.

Once I have finalised that, I will send out chapters to people who would like to make detailed comments.

I am still accepting reviewers so let me know if you are interested.

IanMc

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Philip,

You are welcome to use any of my stuff on the forums.

I'd love to be a reviewer.

Guardian17

Licensed User
Longtime User
While I realize covering the basics will help many people just starting with B4A, will the "Questions" forum be checked for answers to questions that have been posted because some topics/issues were not obvious in the excellent Guides that are already available?

Although I am not overly highly skilled in the intricacies of B4A (learning all the time), I would certainly like to help with checking grammar and spelling....

PhilipBrown

Licensed User
Longtime User
While I realize covering the basics will help many people just starting with B4A, will the "Questions" forum be checked for answers to questions that have been posted because some topics/issues were not obvious in the excellent Guides that are already available?

Although I am not overly highly skilled in the intricacies of B4A (learning all the time), I would certainly like to help with checking grammar and spelling....

Thanks for the offer to review the book.

If you send your email address to me at [email protected] I will send you a proof copy.

Regards,

Philip Brown

barx

Licensed User
Longtime User
I don't know if it was down to the old forum software but I seem to have missed many new posts, including all the recent stuff on this thread. it is great news that the book is at prerelease. looking forward to reading it. tried the link above the digital copy but it does nothing on my phone. away from pc for a couple of weeks. if you still need reviewers / proof readers. let me know, pm or whatever. well done on getting this far.

PhilipBrown

Licensed User
Longtime User
Edgar Ibarra has kindly generated a new cover for the book:
FrontCover-467x600.jpg

Last edited: