Book about Basic4Android

Do you think about book about Basic4Android is a good idea?

• No, it's not needed

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

tea spoon

Hi
I will be buying b4a. Will your book have examples of building libraries for basic4android? I think basics are already covered in the user guide and other tutorials. Understanding android code and converting them to libs for b4a is what most of us would like (IMHO)

barx

Licensed User
Longtime User
nice cover, but I think it should include the b4a logo somewhere. same would be said for the original cover.

PhilipBrown

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Tea Spoon,

Everybody seems to want something different from this book, and obviously it’s not possible to provide everything. The book brings together a wide range of information into a single reference source.

The Library introductory chapter includes the following sections, which includes details of the easy way of creating a library:

Introduction
What is a library?
Types of Libraries
Core Library
Standard Libraries
Additional Official Libraries
Additional User Libraries
Additional libraries folder
Telling the IDE where the find Additional Libraries
Error message “Are you missing a library reference?”
Referencing Libraries
Creating Libraries
More Information Creating Libraries
Benefits of creating Libraries
Preparing Your Library
Main Activity Excluded
Library specific attributes
Project attributes
Module Attributes
Classes Attributes
How to Compile a Library
Output
No Home Screen Widget Libraries
How to publish your library

In addition there are detailed lists of every type, event and member in the standard libraries included with the full version, the same for the “Additional Official Libraries” (which means those produced by the makers of Basic4Android), and a sample of the user-generated libraries, of which there are too many to include details of them all.

eps

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Philip
Well done on producing the book, looking forward to reading about it. If you still need any proof readers, feel free to contact me.

Of course everyone is going to have their own ideas about the book, but you're the only one (so far) to have produced a book, which takes a huge amount of thought and effort.

I was approached about writing a B4A book, but due to work and App commitments I missed that boat. So there should be another book out in about 5 months time, if they're on track with that. You never know there may be more books in the various pipelines! It's all good though, as I'm sure they will cater for different markets or have different content.

If you've published the book, please provide a link, so that we can see how much it costs and where it's available.

thanks

:)

Mivo

Licensed User
Longtime User
I pre-ordered this (half the price is a strong incentive), but I still hope there may be an epub version eventually. My e-ink reader doesn't handle PDFs well (none of them does). It isn't a huge deal, since I can just use the tablet, but still, it would be appreciated. :)

Mivo

Licensed User
Longtime User
Got my copy a couple of days ago, and I just wanted to leave a note to say that it is an excellent book! I had wondered if it would be updated for version 3.0, and indeed, it was! Great job! :)

PhilipBrown

Licensed User
Longtime User
I am pleased to be able to announce that customers who buy the ebook version of Basic4Android by Wyken Seagrave will in future be entitled to a 25% discount off the paperback version! Customers will be able to download the instructions at the same time as they download their book.

You can buy the ebook from http://buy.basic4android.info/

In order to be fair to existing customers, we are also offering them the same discount. An email will be sent out today to anyone who has already purchased the ebook, with details of how to obtain your discount.

Those who only want the paperback and not the ebook can buy it from

http://bit.ly/17TovBa

You can also buy it from any Amazon website.

MikeH

Licensed User
Longtime User
Just bought the ebook version, thanks.

Is the paperback available as spiral bound? Makes it much easier to fold flat on your desk.

PhilipBrown

Licensed User
Longtime User
Just bought the ebook version, thanks.

Is the paperback available as spiral bound? Makes it much easier to fold flat on your desk.

I have looked into this now.

In order to produce a spiral bound edition, we will need to order a stock. I don't want to be left with too many unsold copies, so I wonder how many people would like a spiral bound copy? They would cost a bit more than the paperback version, maybe $54.99.

Anyone who would be interested please let me know, either here or at [email protected]

Many thanks.

MikeH

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks for looking into it Phil.

If there`s enough interest, a spiral bound version would be my preferred choice.

I`ve nearly finished reading the ebook version but can wait to see how this goes.