Can't connect via wireless

nfordbscndrd

Licensed User
Longtime User
I've been connecting via wireless for a long time. A couple of months ago I had to move all my computer gear to another room and could still connect via wireless, but since I moved it all back in a few weeks ago, I have not been able to connect anymore.

I use Avast security software, went into the Firewall settings and gave B4A access to all ports, but when I try to connect, it says that it tried to ping the IP address I entered and it failed. I have two wireless connections in the house and both failed. (One of them says "Ping failed: DestinationHostUnreachable" and the other says "Ping failed: Timed out".)

I just installed the 2.0 beta and the same thing happens.

Last edited:

nfordbscndrd

Licensed User
Longtime User

This is some progress. Following the first link, when I enter arp -a, I don't see the IP given by B4A-Bridge on my tablet. So the progress is that I now know what the problem is (maybe).

But then I come to the instructions saying to enter:

netsh interface ipv4 add neighbors "Connection Name" IP ADRESS MAC ADDRESS
Where Connection name is the name of your connection. You can find out the name of your connection by typing netsh interface show interface[1]
Your phone's IP address and MAC address will be listed in your router's ARP table[3], or you can find that information in your phone's settings.[2]

[1]When I enter netsh interface show interface, five Interface Names are listed and it is not obvious which to use.
[2]It says I can find "your phone's MAC address in your phone's settings," but I can't find it on my tablet.
[3]I Googled "MAC Address Lookup" which said to enter ipconfig /all at the Win7 command prompt, but that brings up 14 sections showing different descriptions and I can't be sure which to use.

So I tried my best guesses:
netsh interface ipv4 add neighbors "Wireless Network Connection" 192.168.0.6 02-50-F2-00-00-01

It accepted that but when I enter arp -a, the B4A IP address still doesn't show up, but when I try to enter the above line again, cmd says "The object already exists." When I try to connect to B4A I still get "Ping failed".

Merlot2309

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,
1. The Interface Name should be your normal wireless connection, "Wi-Fi" in most cases. A connected one for sure.
2. On my tablet the MAC address is under -> Settings -> About phone -> Status
3. IP address Android tablet: see http://kb.k12usa.com/Knowledgebase/Find-the-IP-address-of-an-iPad-or-Android-Tablet

(Also make sure that you run the command prompt as administrator)
It should be something like this: netsh interface ipv4 add neighbors "Wi-Fi" "192.168.0.6" "02-50-F2-00-00-01"

Success

nfordbscndrd

Licensed User
Longtime User
Wow. I don't think I would ever found the MAC address under "Status" -- not exactly descriptive.

But after I made the add neighbors entry (after deleting the old one) using the correct MAC address, it shows up in the arp -a list but when I try to connect B4A to the tablet, I still get "Ping failed (IP=192.168.0.6): DestinationHostUnreachable".

Merlot2309

Licensed User
Longtime User
I am a living disaster with connections. Have you checked your network connection settings, like Advanced settings - Network detection automatic (Windows 7 version)

nfordbscndrd

Licensed User
Longtime User
I am a living disaster with connections. Have you checked your network connection settings, like Advanced settings - Network detection automatic (Windows 7 version)

You and me both. I also can't get B4A to connect to any of my 3 tablets via Bluetooth. Only recently was I able to get them to connect via USB.