Android Question Casting To Smart TVs

bocker77

Licensed User
Longtime User
This may not be the place to pose this question but searching through this forum on casting an app to a TV some of you have asked about similar issues so I thought I would give it a shot. I have a Moto G Power phone and tried to cast from it outside of an app to a Samsung smart TV. No luck without buying a Chromecast dongle which I didn't. But while pulling up a music video on YouTube to watch and listen to, BTW Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young's "Southern Man Live 1970", it presented me with an option to cast it to my smart TV. I did and it worked to my amazement. So YT is able to do it! Is it possible for my app to cast with coding in B4A? I thought I would ask you kind folk before I start downloading B4A/B4X libraries that may address this capability. My app really doesn't need to do it but it would enhance it considerably.

Thanks in advance for anyone's response.

MicroDrie

Licensed User
I think that you are logged in with both your smart television and your PC at Google Home. So what you say to Google Home is: 'display Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young's "Southern Man Live 1970" on my smart television'. Google home then instructs YouTube to start/continue streaming to the smart television. I suspect if you see the opportunity to set up a web session in your app to YouTube, you will achieve the same result.

Update: I forgot to mention that the browser must have a chrome client to enable casting.

Upvote 0

MicroDrie

Licensed User
The fact that you can cast YouTube and Netflix from your phone without a problem rules out network problems.
What happens when you log in to Google Home on your phone, do you see your Samsung TV in the overview of available devices?

Upvote 0

bocker77

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have tried many options to try this over the years that I eventually gave up. I now am using messaging to communicate with my Samsung tablet, from my app running on my phone, that can mirror to the Samsung TV. I also tried numerous devices to bypass this setup to place the TV vertically to mimic my app running in portrait mode. At this time it is not possible without spending hundreds of dollars with a new TV that allows this. I tried using different versions of Chromecast and I stupidly bought a Chromebit that can place a TV in portrait mode but doesn't allow an app to use it. So I have my main app on my phone send a messages to my tablet running a separate app that does the multi media stuff which entails displaying pictures and producing sounds over the TV's speakers. If anyone wants to purchase a Chromebit cheap let me know.

But to answer your question, no I haven't tried this. Not sure how to do this within my B4X program though.

Upvote 0