Android Question (Solved) Smart TV - App Compilation/Installation

f0raster0

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi team,

I currently have a small Android app up and running, and we are looking to install this app on a Samsung smart TV (Samsung UA43AU7002) .
Do I need to compile it in a specific format to generate the APK to install the app on a smart TV?

I don't have any TV at home :) probably I have to buy one to run tests.. and will be the first time in my life having a TV :) o_O

Thank you in advance

Solution
That particular Samsung TV runs on Tizen OS, so it will not directly run any android apps.

However, you could either get a TV that runs on GoogleTV/AndroidTV (allowing you to install an android app directly on it) or you can get ANY TV (like that Samsung TV) and simply connect a GoogleTV/AndroidTV streaming device/stick to it so you can then install an android app on the streaming box and it will appear on the TV.

Also, keep in mind that you need to design the UI of your app so that the user can FULLY navigate your app using just the TV/Streaming remote because the user can not "touch" the tv screen to click on any views - so this might limit which views you can include in your app.

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
That particular Samsung TV runs on Tizen OS, so it will not directly run any android apps.

However, you could either get a TV that runs on GoogleTV/AndroidTV (allowing you to install an android app directly on it) or you can get ANY TV (like that Samsung TV) and simply connect a GoogleTV/AndroidTV streaming device/stick to it so you can then install an android app on the streaming box and it will appear on the TV.

Also, keep in mind that you need to design the UI of your app so that the user can FULLY navigate your app using just the TV/Streaming remote because the user can not "touch" the tv screen to click on any views - so this might limit which views you can include in your app.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Solution

f0raster0

Licensed User
Longtime User
That Samsung TV runs on Tizen OS, so it will not directly run any android apps.

I will ask them about the possibility of substituting the Samsung TV with an Android TV.

In cases where a non-smart TV is in use, I typically employ an Android TV stick to HDMI:
sTV-Demo1.jpg

Thank you very much @JohnC

Upvote 0