Android Question code module life cycle

leitor79

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

I have a project where I usq sql and keyvaluestore libraries.

Since I'm using one instantiated object from the whole project, I'm thinking about the best (most optimal) way to use. I've thought using a code module like this:

B4X:
'Code module
'Subs in this code module will be accessible from all modules.
Sub Process_Globals
    'These global variables will be declared once when the application starts.
    'These variables can be accessed from all modules.
    Private oSQL As SQL

End Sub

Public Sub GetSQL() As SQL

Dim rSQL As SQL

Try

If oSQL=Null OR oSQL.IsInitialized=False Then
            If File.Exists(File.DirInternal,"database.db") = False Then
                File.Copy(File.DirAssets,"database.db",File.DirInternal,"database.db")
            End If
            oSQL.Initialize(File.DirInternal, "database.db",  False)
        End If
        rSQL=oSQL

Catch
        'doing stuff
    End Try

Return rSQL

End Sub

So, wherever I need to use the SQL object, I get it using MyModule.GetSQL function. But since I'm not familiar with the code module life cycle, I'm wondering what happen with the oSQL object after the call ends or after the calling activity/service module ends. The idea is to get oSQL instantiated as long as possible, right?

Same thing with the KeyValueStore object (not defined yet)

Is a code module the right option to do something like this? Is this way a good option?

Thank you very much!

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Code module is a good option here with one limitation. You will need be able to use the async methods as code modules (in B4A) do not support events.

Code modules do not have a very interesting life cycle. Process_Global variables are kept as long as the process is running and they don't have any other context of their own (this is why they cannot handle events).

Upvote 0

leitor79

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Erel, thanks for your answer!

So, if my app has 3 services, the module process_global are kept as any of the services is alive, no matter which uses the module first?

Thank you very much!

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
process_global is not a module. It is a sub in a Activity or a Service for example.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
You are right on track.

If I remember correctly, code modules was one of the first upgrades that Erel introduced after creating B4A (we only had activities to begin with).

Code Modules are the repository for your ad hoc functions / procedures / methods (or whatever) that you may call from any other source (activity, service, etc).
I have several code modules in my apps, named according to what specific task (group) they may perform.

Prior to CM, duplicate code was required in each activity. One can only imagine the problem this caused with keeping them up-to-date.

Making your app work full time, regardless of what app (or activity) is in view, you require a service. Frankly, my app would be USELESS without a service to keep things running while in the background - and started on first boot of a device.

Upvote 0

leitor79

Licensed User
Longtime User
process_global is not a module. It is a sub in a Activity or a Service for example.

Hi DonManfred, thanks for your answer.

I've missed a few words when I wrote the question; here I go again:

So, if my app has 3 services, the module's variables declared at process_global are kept as any of the services is alive, no matter which uses the module first?

And also, I add the following:

oSQL must be declared as "Public", or an exception will rise sometimes when using it from other module (activity or service) than the one that instatiate it before.

Thank Harris for your answer, too.

I understand no service is guaranteed to be kept alive forever by android. So, as I have 3 services, maybe the chance that at least one of them is kept alive would suffice to keep some module's object instatiated. What do you think?

Regards!

Upvote 0