DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

techknight

Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes. +1.

No command line for me. Its cumbersome to me but highly subjective to others so we will leave it at that.

corwin42

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
+1
I currently develop an app for my car which is never directly connected to my laptop. The release version even crashes on any other device because there is a package needed which is only installed on the car infotainment system.

So a "compile only" option which just creates the apk and does not try to install it would be very valuable (just an additional menu entry would be enough). If I remember correctly there was such an option in a very early B4A version.

panagiotisden2

Licensed User
Longtime User
+1
I would also like the opposite option, install to device only without compilation (if compiled apk is present).

usage cases:
1) A lot of times i forget to connect my phone with B4A Bridge so the IDE tells me no device connected. When i see this i have to recompile the same exact code a second time with my device connected.

2) Some times the transfer process from my computer to the phone is stuck with the progress bar in B4A Bridge freezing at some percentage of the transfer and never finishes so i have to recompile in this case too.

3) If by mistake i hit cancel instead of install in my phone in the package installer. (although i have modified the B4A bridge app to include a button that reinstalls the latest apk transferred (also that would be nice to have in the original B4A bridge by default))

4) Having to uninstall the apk first to delete user settings that caused the app not to work correctly because you changed X in your code and you realized later.

5) Compiling an old project you had just to see/remember what it does, most of the time the compiled (in release) apk is sitting there anyways so why not have this option.

Also it would be nice if the compilation dialog had a retry button in case of no connection to a phone and a retransfer button in case of a successful transfer along with a dedicated button (possibly next to the run button) that just transfers the apk.

It may sound simple to recompile but i have some huge projects (and a slow computer) that take a significant amount of time to compile and its hideous when one of the above five happens.

tchart

Licensed User
Longtime User
Been asked for before (search the forums). The below custom build action works for B4J, it just launches command prompt and exits with an error and this blocks the launch of the project (in B4J). I think the build action numbers might be slightly different for B4A from memory but you want to do this before the launch.

B4X:
#CustomBuildAction: 2, %windir%\system32\cmd.exe, "/k exit /B 1"

Usually I wrap this in a conditional statement for my RELEASE build so it launches while Im debugging but not when I do my release build.

B4X:
    #if RELEASE       
        #CustomBuildAction: 1, C:\Apps\B4J\Tools\Version\version.bat, 
        #CustomBuildAction: 2, %windir%\system32\cmd.exe, "/k exit /B 1"
    #end if

AnandGupta

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi tchart,

Yes, geek way is available in the forum for B4A too, but we are wishing for proper buttons/menus which are very much useful, even for experts, IMHO.

Regards,

Anand