ConfigureHomeWidget not setting UpdateInterval

NFOBoy

Licensed User
Longtime User
After following both of the Widget Tutorials and bashing my head in a few times, I finally have my own (just for my personal use) widget working.

Although, a couple of things did pop up.

I cannot get the widgets to refresh without using a timer. I am using 2.52, compiled for use in debug/release mode, tried on my S3 and SL, and have set the minutes value to 1, 2, 5, and 10... waiting for any type of refresh to occur... nada.

This is with using the original ConfigureHomeWidget call and the new one (with and without the CenterWidget boolean being passed)
-Update-
Did just get it working with the StartServiceAt call, and calling the RequestUpdate from there. But I did not see that anywhere in the tutorial text (did find it after looking through all the comments... d'oh)

Also, the Second tutorial is written with the older HTTPUtils library, would you like an update done for that tutorial, using the newer library? (Although easier, it still would be nice to see it using your latest and greatest tools)

Ross

Last edited:

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
he widget can be configured to update itself automatically. The interval, measured in minutes, defines how often will the widget request to update itself. Set to 0 to disable automatic updates. Updating the widget too often will have a bad impact on the battery. The minimum value is 30 minutes.

As written in the first tutorial the minimum interval of widgets is 30 minutes. You can use other methods (such as StartServiceAt) to update the widget.

Upvote 0

NFOBoy

Licensed User
Longtime User
No wonder I bashed my head so much... but did not see ServiceStartAt mentioned anywhere in the second tutorial, which is the one I was Really looking at as it has the HTTPUtils stuff in it. Especially now that I see in the popup (which I thought I read 20 times) has the minimum 30 in it! D'oh.

(watching the log for 10 minutes at a time, is worse than waiting for water to boil)

Upvote 0

NFOBoy

Licensed User
Longtime User
Erel,

is that from the underlying code? (Android API) or from how the class was developed? Just wondering what the basis for the limit is?

It seems a little counter-productive, as I am now trying to implement a clean catch for setting the time interval, that if there is a way around the 30 minute limit, then why have a limit?

Otherwise it's very clean, ask user for refresh interval, set the interval.

Now it's ask the user for interval, if less than 30 then must use the StartServiceAt, otherwise use the normal constructor. ( there's no benefit to the coder in the constructor requiring the time limit, and there's no benefit to the system, as the coder can bypass it... so it's really just a fake wall)

Upvote 0