conflicting signature error...

mauricedorris

Licensed User
Longtime User
I just had my laptop crash and had to reload Basic4Android on a new 64 bit computer running windows 7.

I loaded everything, including the libraries and was able to open compile my app. But when I install it I get an error that says "An existing package by the same name with a conflicting signature is already installed."

Its not letting me update my app to a newer version unless I go through the process of manually un-installing first.

This worked just fine when I compiled on the other computer, which was 32 bit.

thanks for any help.

Maurice

mauricedorris

Licensed User
Longtime User
It only says what I already mentioned.

"An existing package by the same name with a conflicting signature is already installed."

This is not an error from the application, this is an error from android. I am running the toshiba thrive tablet.

What exactly is the "signature" its referring to? Is that something that I can control when I compile?

Upvote 0

mauricedorris

Licensed User
Longtime User
This error means that there is already an installed application with the same package name and a different sign key.

You should find it and uninstall it.

Of course I can find it and uninstall it.

But... I have a commercial application. When I issue updates,they are automatic and need to be able to overwrite the previous version without asking the user to manually uninstall.

So... how do I know what this sign key is? Can I control it?

This problem only started a couple of months ago when I compiled my application on a 64 bit computer. Prior to this computer, I used a 32 bit windows 7 computer for years and pushed out many upgrades without this messge.
Any help is appreciated

Upvote 0

mauricedorris

Licensed User
Longtime User
You should make sure to always sign with the same key file. You cannot find the key from the application itself.

OK.... I think I am remembering now. It has been a while since I recompiled the program.

I have the key file. But what happens if I forget the password and cannot load the keyfile. is there a way to decode it. I have the keystore file but don't remember.

Upvote 0

Malky

Licensed User
Longtime User
I am experiencing this problem? There is no app with the same names (I have saved and renamed the app), but get the same error?

I created an app called, notify.b4a. Saved and ran it and I get the error:-

"An existing package by the same name with a conflicting signature is already installed."

I copied the code and pasted into a new project called not.b4a and still get the same error when installing/testing?

There is no app on my phone named anything like these? What's up?

Malky

Upvote 0

Malky

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Erel, that sprung to mind after going to bed :)

I just came on to delete the post.

Thanks anyway,

Malk

Upvote 0