Android Question Connection problem

AlteregoHR

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello,
I have strange problem.
Form my project I have set up IIS server and SQL database on my local computer. I obtained Host name from DtDNS an set it up on my rooter and forwarded ports so that it forward request for database to my local computer. Ali is working fine. I can access my local database over internet form my other computers, other can access it form their mobile phones and everithing is working fine except I cant access DB from my phone. When it is connected to WIFI and I try to acces it over Internet with it is working fine. When my phone is connected over 3g I cant get access.
I have look at IIS log end it is not geting request.
I have looked at host files at my phone and there is nothing there except localhost.
My phone is the only device that cant access DB.
I have even tried to connect my tablet to my phones hotspot and access DB over phones connection and it is working.
There must be something wrong with my phones browser but I tried default browse and chrome.
Dont know what to do, please if any one have any idea?
I should say that I have tried to connect on my linux server and no luck. I can brows web pages.
Thanks

AlteregoHR

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you for replay, I have tried that and IP or MAC are not blocked on rooter.
After debugin software that is trying to connect I get:
Error: org.apache.http.client.ClientProtocolException
I use Httputils2 to query my database.
I have find this article http://stackoverflow.com/questions/...droid-nohttpresponseexception-through-umts-3g
and it look that it could be my problem but I dont know what to make of ti. Could it be some bug in Httputils2?
Thanks

Upvote 0

AlteregoHR

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you for replay.
Yes I have tried accessing server from default browser and Chrome from my phone.
If I am on wifi the it is working, if I am on 3g then it is not. I am accessing server not form local IP 192.168... but external adress from DtDNS wich is working fine.
On every other device it is working ok, just my phone over 3g not ????

Upvote 0

AlteregoHR

Licensed User
Longtime User
But on other phone with same mobile provider it is working.
Even if I turn on phone hotspot and connect tablet I can access server and DB. Only with phone I cant access server and DB.
I dont think it is HttpUtils2 bug but I am out of options because I tried everything that I know and still nothing.

Upvote 0

giga

Licensed User
Longtime User
But on other phone with same mobile provider it is working.
Even if I turn on phone hotspot and connect tablet I can access server and DB. Only with phone I cant access server and DB.
I dont think it is HttpUtils2 bug but I am out of options because I tried everything that I know and still nothing.

I agree with Erel. Some providers block ports for use on 3G connections and will allow the same ports to work over WIFI. Example Sip on some providers is a good example of this. The built in library on some providers will not allow SIP to work on 3G but when the phone is switched to WIFI Sip will work.
As a test is it possible for you to try a different port for your connection to get around this.

Upvote 0

AlteregoHR

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you Erel. :) I understand what you are saying, but:
My wifes Iphone on the same provider can connect to DB over safari
My tablet if I connect it to my phones hotspot ( the phone is on 3g ) can connect to Db over default browser as well as over chrome.
Only my phone HTC Sensation on which I am developing software cant???? :confused: Maybe it is bug on phones software or something I dont think it is provider or server problem because one every other device that I have tried connecting there is no problem. Hmmmm...:confused:
Will have to find another phone to present software to client.

Upvote 0

AlteregoHR

Licensed User
Longtime User
First let me thank you for taking time to answer my question.
I mean time i find solution to the problem.
It was IIS port.
On every port other then 8080 I can connect to SQL server only over WIFI.
Only on 8080 connection can be made over WIFI and 3G. I am not sure why it is so, but it is working. Maybe it is specific to my mobile provider.
Thank you again for all your trouble and best support on the Internet!

Upvote 0