B4J Question Console vs Server application - wich difference exactly ?

amorosik

Expert
Licensed User
It seems synonymous to me
What exactly is the difference between the two types of projects?

Brian Dean

Licensed User
Longtime User
I would say that one difference is that a server implies an internet connected application, generally responding to contacts from other devices, whereas a console application could be limited to the confines of the machine on which it is running - a "service" in another parlance. There may be other, more formal, differences.

Upvote 0

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
In computing, a server is a piece of computer hardware or software (computer program) that provides functionality for other programs or devices, called "clients".

The console is a software or hardware that has a user interface, sometimes characterized by a textual interaction between user and computer (see shell). With a cobsolle the user gives input commands to get answers or to start certain functions or operations.

So two different things.

Some server software also have a graphical interface console for setting parameters others do not and load the settings from a text file.

Any electronic device can have a software console, such as an audio mixer or an electrical control panel. A standalone game device is sometimes referred to as a console.
But nothing to do with servers.

So two different things.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

amorosik

Expert
Licensed User
The ability to provide functionality to other systems, clients, does not exclude that it has a user interface
They are two independent characteristics of each other
In the case of B4J, if you try to create a new project you will find in addition to 'server' also 'console-nonUI' which I imagine stands for Non User Interface
So project 'server' is without UI
Project 'console' is without UI
For any project, and therefore also for 'server' and 'console' the code can respond to anyone and act as a server in the general IT definition
Where do you see the difference?

Upvote 0

amorosik

Expert
Licensed User
I would say that one difference is that a server implies an internet connected application, generally responding to contacts from other devices, whereas a console application could be limited to the confines of the machine on which it is running - a "service" in another parlance. There may be other, more formal, differences.

I don't think the definition 'server' is reserved for systems connected to the internet, but as you wrote correctly Star-Dust is a program that responds to requests from other systems and does a certain job
Just think of a database server, it is a program that can run even on LANs that are perfectly isolated from the internet

Upvote 0

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I don't think the definition 'server' is reserved for systems connected to the internet, but as you wrote correctly Star-Dust is a program that responds to requests from other systems and does a certain job
Just think of a database server, it is a program that can run even on LANs that are perfectly isolated from the internet
Server is tied to networks (not just the internet). But to the networks. The console is not tied to the networks.

Summarizing Server, it is a SW / HW that supplies data and information (elaborations) to the client. More generally, it provides information requested by clients and works automatically. It does not need administrator intervention for every command it executes.

Console is a control panel, The console does not respond to a client, but a direct input from the operator. It does not return data but executes a command. More generally, the term console applies to a control panel of an appliance. It does not move without operator intervention. A client could be a console. For example, Telnet is comparable to a console.

No one in the IT field uses the term console for a server (other than you). Nobody uses the term Server to mean a music console or any other type of console. (Except you of course)

Wikipendia still works, you can search. BUT not only that, on google you can search for the meanings of the terms on many platforms.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

amorosik

Expert
Licensed User
We are in the B4J forum
It therefore seems obvious to me that we are talking about 'topics' on B4J
The B4J environment provides for the creation, among other types, of a 'Console (non-UI)' project
That 'non-UI' is why I asked the question
You say that by 'console' we generally mean a program that interacts with the user, so that it has any user interface
The B4J environment provides for the creation of 'console (nonUI)' projects
Aren't you curious what that 'console (nonUI)' means?
I would like to understand exactly what it means

Upvote 0

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
We are in the B4J forum
It therefore seems obvious to me that we are talking about 'topics' on B4J
The B4J environment provides for the creation, among other types, of a 'Console (non-UI)' project
That 'non-UI' is why I asked the question
You say that by 'console' we generally mean a program that interacts with the user, so that it has any user interface
The B4J environment provides for the creation of 'console (nonUI)' projects
Aren't you curious what that 'console (nonUI)' means?
I would like to understand exactly what it means
Console requires an interface but not necessarily UI, in fact telnet is a client that does not necessarily require a UI interface.

Anyway, I answered your question. You don't have to agree with the world IT world explanations.
For example, I disagree with the general opinion that the IT world has of the BASIC language.

I answered the question.

Upvote 0

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
In B4J, when you create a non-UI App, it could be a Console, but not necessarily. Then personally you will call it Application (NON-UI). But that's my opinion.

It could be an http server, but there are several HTTP servers, with a graphical interface.
Console and server are not the same, but in some applications they can be the same and be both. But this is not necessarily the case.

Let me give some examples.

I can create a Non-UI App, passing a parameter turns me a WORD into PDF file. (eg. MyApp C: \ file.doc)
It is a console but it is not a server.

I can create a NON-UI app, which across the network sends a one second cadence, the exact time with UDP packets. It is a server but it is not a console.

Last edited:
Upvote 0