Android Question Creating a social app

Alexander Stolte

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello Community, i have a simple question. I'm developing a social media app, which makes it possible to register, upload pictures, and post text. (like Twitter, like Facebook, like instagram etc.)

A Save and fast Database connection plays a very important role, in the process. Through my teaching, I'm used to MSSQL, but I've learned that the MYSQL is a better solution.

What do you think about that? MSSQL or MYSQL and which tutorial can you recommend me in this forum?

The database will run on a root server.

Thank you for your experience!

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Setup a jRDC2 on your Rootserver. See RDC Tutorial on how to work with it.

You Clients (Apps) connects to this RDC to put/get Data from your Database.
The jRDC connects to your Database using a JDBC-connector. You can use MSSQL or MySQL or MariaDB or any Database you want.

Upvote 0

frasc

Licensed User
I think he is asking about the performance difference between MySQL vs MS SQL, not how to connect to them.

I know next to nothing about SQL, so I can't answer, just trying to clarify.

Upvote 0

lemonisdead

Licensed User
Longtime User
What do you think about that? MSSQL or MYSQL and which tutorial can you recommend me in this forum?
If you care about the CPU usage, I would strongly recommend PostgreSQL with PgBouncer (I said with ;))
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PgBouncer
PostgreSQL is much more able to manipulate lots of data (about 13 TB), quicker with its stored procedures like vacuum, more stable than MySQL (Google it for any comparison) and PgBouncer will allow a lot of concurrent connections while relieving the server from any constraints. That couple is a good choice for production.
In my opinion, MySQL is good for web sites, not for consuming applications like social networks

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Alexander Stolte

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

fredo

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm developing a social media app, which makes it possible to register, upload pictures, and post text.

If you are aiming for millions of users you have to take a deep look into the "NoSQL" concept.

This
might be a good start for further decisions.

07-05-_2017_17-00-15.jpg

When you decided to go the NoSQL way there are some options of DB systems: Firebase, Mongo, Couch, ...

After comparing security issues, maintainability, costs, etc. we choose Google's "Firebase" because they cover every aspect of a modern social oriented app and it's free until you reach the point of 100 simulations connections. After that it is a reasonable 25$ p.m.

Easy to understandable introductions of the Firebase world are here.

Here in the B4X community there are most of the needed libraries available.

A few thoughts on starting with the "Firebase Realtime database" are here.

Upvote 0

Alexander Stolte

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Here in the B4X community there are most of the needed libraries available.

I have a quick question to you about this. The push message, can i use this for a chat? It shows for me just push a message from the developer team to the users.
[to bad english]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
This is the english part of the forum. Stay at english or move your question to the german forum.

To answer your question: Yes you can use FB Messaging for this. But you need to run a Server-App on your server (B4J App) which collects all the token for all the users.
Your Serverapp needs to get rid of which token belong to which user (or Group / Chat).

Last edited:
Upvote 0