Wish Debug with Real Devices using Free Personal Developer Certificate

xulihang

Licensed User
Longtime User
I remember that since Xcode 7, it is possible to debug with real devices using my personal development certificate. At that time, I figured out how to export the keys Xcode generated and use them in B4i, though not very convenient.

Now, I want to retake iOS developing and find that it still requires a $99/year certificate. I wish B4i can support debugging using my personal team's certificate.

Thanks.

xulihang

Licensed User
Longtime User
What I do now without a developer's license.

1. Run a local mac builder
2. Compile the project in B4i
3. Directly open the uploaded project with Xcode and let Xcode config the certificate and provision profiles so we can debug on real devices with Xcode
4. Change the name of the b4i_default to a different one, like b4i_default_modified.
5. Every time I run B4i compile, I need to copy the updated files to the b4i_default_modified folder.

xulihang

Licensed User
Longtime User
I think the simplest way to make B4i support Free Personal Developer Certificate is to let users configure the Xcode project first and the next time, the builder only updates the code files.

xulihang

Licensed User
Longtime User
1620900269044.png

xulihang

Licensed User
Longtime User
1. The simulator is limited. For example, it does not have a camera, which makes it impossible to debug computer vision apps.
2. The free certificate is used to debug apps not to distribute apps. Expiration does not matter.
3. If Xcode allows this but B4i doesn't, then it is a limitation of B4i. I am just building apps for internal usage currently. There is no need to enroll Apple's developer program.

xulihang

Licensed User
Longtime User
Since only myself is using it, I can reinstall it if it expires.

Alexander Stolte

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The apps will expire after a few days.
It doesn't matter if you only need it for development on your phone. I always test my apps in everyday life, I don't have my simulator in my pocket. Only through this I was able to discover many errors that I did not have in the simulator, or did not notice.
I have a license, but a few months too early, if I had been able to install the app to my phone without the Apple license, I would have saved money.

And anyone who doesn't have a Mac and relies on Local Mac Builder can't develop at all without $99 a year.

Or for example a teenager who would like to start developing with B4I but doesn't have a Mac and doesn't have the money to pay $99 a year just to show his friends what he can do, or wants to take his 1st steps in IOS, that's a hurdle.

My opinion, I think more would develop with B4I if that were possible.

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
It is technically not possible to develop with the free certificate, without a local builder.

Good morning @Erel,
I was under the impression that developing even test apps was not possible at all without annoyingly paying Apple $99 per year.

Are you actually saying that if one has their own (local) Mac sitting at home or in an office somewhere, that one wouldn't have to pay Apple any money whatsoever but the Apps developed will expire after a few day?

Well just like @xulihang and @Alexander Stolte et al, I for one would be more than interested and happy with such a limitation, especially as I don't create iOS apps for the Apple store and I definitely don't create bespoke iOS apps for clients because of just one particular limitation, which I will not get into here.

If there were a full set of instructions anywhere on the forum then I would have taken that option 2 years ago instead of paying Apple for absolutely nothing in my opinion. Erel you directly do more for the likes of @xulihang, @Alexander Stolte, others and myself when it comes to creating iOS apps (for learning purposes only). For absolutely no other reason, having instructions (or even one of your videos) showing users of B4i how to create a licensed (even if it expires after a few days (as a temporary measure) would be absolutely brilliant.

Reading the post above from @xulihang, you need a Mac with XCode installed which most developers that use B4i don't. But for those of us that do have a Mac, then I for one would like to see a full set of instructions/or a tutorial (preferably from yourself Erel, so that it does not get lost in the thousands of current threads) that could show us how to create a free certificate (which last only a few days) which can be accomplished as efficiently as possible.

As I mentioned previously, I would prefer a free certificate with apps that lasts only a few days than to pay Apple $99 per year when I don't publish apps on their store or even use their help forums.

5. Every time I run B4i compile, I need to copy the updated files to the b4i_default_modified folder.
Which updated files?
Would Robocopy here (I don't know what files you are talking about)

xulihang

Licensed User
Longtime User
Which updated files?
Would Robocopy here (I don't know what files you are talking about)

Yes, the custom build action can help.

I found that many files will be updated.

First, the compiled objective-c source code.
Second, the layout files if changed.
Third, the project file if new libraries are used.

Actually, to enable the project to use the free certificate in Xcode requires only several steps. Maybe it is easier to use the auto compiled project and config the certificate than to config the certificate and update files manually.

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Actually, to enable the project to use the free certificate in Xcode requires only several steps. Maybe it is easier to use the auto compiled project and config the certificate than to config the certificate and update files manually.
Well I for one would be more than interested in doing this as a solution to not pay Apple any of my hard earned wonga (money).

A full set of instructions would be more than welcome from this side of the ocean ;)

As I mentioned earlier, I don't release apps on the App store but I do enjoy using all the B4X suite of RAD tools. Paying or donating to use the suite of Anywhere Software tools does not bother me as the forum is a wealth of knowledge and Anywhere Software support is second to none. But paying Apple is annoying as I don't use their products or services and I don't uploads my apps into their App store.

To me I'm wasting $99 per year, I almost didn't renew this Apple TAX earlier this year. Whenever I get some free time I want to create more simple B4X tutorial/examples for new developers to learn from, I'm just not happy that I had to pay the Apple TAX. I've only paid what I call the $99 Apple TAX so that I can release tested and working B4i code on this forum, and NOT for any other reason. So I should release more code really lol o_O

Having a free certificate for testing (created by myself) would be great for me. In the last 2 years I've given Apple $198 which has annoyed me. I would have preferred to give that money to Anywhere Software to help develop B4X. Add another $100 and you can buy a used Mac Mini in good condition, you can then install xCode onto it and leave it running in the corner of your room somewhere.

@xulihang if you have a full set of instructions on how to create a test certificate, that you'll be great. It would be great if @Erel could create a set of instructions or one of his great videos on how to do this.

Cheers...

xulihang

Licensed User
Longtime User
What I do now is just a hack.
There should be a way to export the free certificate and provision files and use them in the same way as if we have paid the $99/year fee. But as B4i is a black box for me, I haven't found out how to do this.