Android Question Debugger has stopped working

Richard S

I have no idea what has happened but I can no longer run any apps in debug mode. If there are no errors in the app I can run it in Release mode some of my trial/learning apps will not even run in Release mode. I can only assume there are errors in those apps. As an example I went all the way back to the very first app named "My First App". A pretty basic app but that is where I started. Originally it worked 100% in debug mode but as of today it will only run in Release mode.
When I try to run it in Debug mode I get asked to install then the option to run as I always did before now I get the message "Waiting for IDE Debugger to connect" on the android for a few seconds then back to the B4A Bridge Start and Stop screen.
I have attached a txt document of the log files in case that helps.
Thanks for any guidance you may offer.
Richard

Attachments

• Project Log after trying debug.txt
    3.6 KB · Views: 206

Richard S

Thank you for your response Erel. I am confused about the network / firewall issue because everything else works. In debug mode the WYSIWYG Designer works. IE: I can add, remove and edit views and all my actions are displayed on the android as well as the designer. Also, if it was a network or firewall issue why would the Bridge File Explorer allow me to view the files on the android? And why would the app try to load the first layout but freeze before it displayed anything other than the app title? Other than the fact that apps error out in debug mode everything else seems to be functioning as they should. Finally, I have not made any changes to my system or network, at least none that I am aware of.
Any guidance or other suggestions will be very much appreciated.
Richard

Upvote 0

Richard S

Good question agraham. I'll try that now. However I just discovered something strange. By chance I found an IDE option to use the legacy debugger and although I get a brief message saying that it is waiting for the ide debugger the app runs without any errors.
If I uncheck the Use Legacy Debugger it freezes on the Main layout without displaying any views other than the waiting for IDE debugger message then goes back to the bridge START STOP screen.
I'll post the results of a blank new project once I get to try it. I assume a "blank" new project needs at least one view.
Richard

Upvote 0

Richard S

I tried a new blank project that automatically created a button view but exactly the same thing happened. Compile and run with default debugger and it freezes before the button is displayed. Compile and run with legacy debugger I get the short waiting for IDE debugger message then the button appears and I can click it and get the expected clicked message.
I have attached the compile windows for both default and legacy compiles. Does not shed any light on things for me but it might for a more experienced expert.
Very frustrating!
Richard

Attachments

• New Blank with default debugger.jpg
    New Blank with default debugger.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 166
  • New Blank with legacy debugger.jpg
    New Blank with legacy debugger.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 165
Upvote 0

Richard S

Thanks again for the suggestions Erel but no luck with either of them.
USB debug still requires Legacy debugger even with anti virus turned off.
Any other idea's?
Thanks for your continued support.
Richard.

Upvote 0

Richard S

Yes Erel, I have powered down and rebooted both the PC and the phone. Not only that but I uninstalled B4A and Designer from the phone and re-installed them with no luck. I then uninstalled B4A from the PC and went through the install process but again no change.
KMatle, I checked the phone and confirmed that the B4A-Bridge is allowed to install unknown apps. B4A-Bridge also has Storage permissions because I use the SD card to hold the SQLite database.
I'm not sure if there are other things I should be looking for but after searching everything I can think of on the phone those are the only references to B4A that I can find.
Strange that the Legacy Debugger works but not the Default Debugger.
Thank you both for your suggestions.
Richard

Upvote 0