Deploying

omoba

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have asked about this before but no good answer.

I want to publish my app on google play. Considering the 50MB limit --I cant publish it

My app requires audio files. These audio files push the app size well into 100+MB. I have decide to split the audio into sections and store them on a server. I want the user to be able to download need sections as needed.

Eg. The app is 110MB, so I publish app with 10MB. The remaining 100MB I would split into chunks maybe 10MB and store them on a server. Within the installed app from google play, user can then download needed sections at will.

Pls how can I do this?

Thanks

omoba

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks

Would I have to specify where the downloaded files should be stored?

Also can I download a folder (not zipped)? If it has to be zipped, how do I unzip after download

Upvote 0

NJDude

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Would I have to specify where the downloaded files should be stored?
But of course, the location must be the SDCard because the amount of data you have

Also can I download a folder (not zipped)? If it has to be zipped, how do I unzip after download
You can download a ZIP file and then unZip it, take a look at the Archiver library.

Upvote 0

IanMc

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Omoba,

If that's the way you've decided to go then good luck with that but to me it sounds like your approach is fraught with failure.

You are firstly trying to get users to download a lot of data which may be expensive if done over the mobile network. Then if for any one of a thousand reasons they don't have access or access fails then so does your app.

Are you sure there is nothing that you can do to reduce the size of the audio files so that you might include them?

For example wav files can be massive yet when converted to mp3 can take only a fraction of the size.

My current app in progress has a bunch of sound effects. I think the biggest one is about 80k.

100megabytes of mp3 audio and you're talking of at least one complete CD album!

Another option might be TTS (Text To Speech) I have the (currently free) Ivona TTS engine installed with the 'Amy' voice and its really good.

Last edited:
Upvote 0