Do bells and whistles slow down an application?

Mahares

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Do the following esthetic features slow down or have any impact on performance of a given application?
1. Color gradients instead of single colors.
2. Bold fonts, large fonts, multi-colored views.
3. Colored buttons as opposed to grayscale.
4. Corner radius as opposed to none.
5. Any other design features that enhance the looks of screens.
I understand that an application needs to be esthetically appealing, but how much is too much?

JonPM

Licensed User
Longtime User
I think with todays devices you shouldn't worry too much about these gui additions. I don't think these things would impact performance enough to be noticable to the naked eye.

Sent from my DROIDX

Upvote 0

nfordbscndrd

Licensed User
Longtime User
I think with todays devices you shouldn't worry too much about these gui additions. I don't think these things would impact performance enough to be noticable to the naked eye.

If you are correct (and you may well be), I wonder why Android 3 changed to plainer looking views from Android 2's fancier looking views? I had assumed (or maybe someone told me) that it was to make A3 run faster.

Upvote 0

Mahares

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
What about libraries that are checked and may not be called in the code. Would that have an impact on performance. If so, should they be unchecked to release memoy and increase speed. Or, are they small enough that their impact is minimal.

Upvote 0

manios

Licensed User
Longtime User
For what reason would a programmer have a Lib checked and not using it?

Upvote 0

Mahares

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Perhaps a part of the code was discarded and a library is no longer used, but the user forgot to uncheck it, or a user is not sure if a library is required, but checks it anyway.

Upvote 0