Android Question Do we need a PC for RDC (Remote Database Connector) to work properly on Android or iOS?

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by jkhazraji, Jul 24, 2019.

1. jkhazraji

jkhazraji Member Licensed User

2. Erel

Erel Administrator Staff Member Licensed User

You can run jRDC2 on the same computer that runs the database server. It can be Linux, Mac, PC, Raspberry Pi or any other computer that supports Java.

MarkusR, DonManfred and jkhazraji like this.
  3. jkhazraji

jkhazraji Member Licensed User

What if the database was hosted on a remote computer as a part of website hosting plan and I want to fetch data from that database by jRDC2 ?

4. Erel

Shared hosting will not work. You need a VPS to run jRDC2.

5. DonManfred

DonManfred Expert Licensed User

There are exceptions.
    I am using a Hosting Provider where i can configure the MySQL-Database(s) to be accessible from outside. This can used to directly access the Database using jdbcsql (which is not recommended). If you need to use jrdc2 you need to have a PC/VPS running.

But i agree: Most providers does not support it so a VPS is the solution here.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    jkhazraji likes this.
  6. Erel

This is not enough if you want to run jRDC2 on your server directly.

7. DonManfred

DonManfred Expert Licensed User

Sorry, my comment was meant regarding mysql-access only (and the use of jdbcsql then).
    I edited my post above...

8. MarkusR

MarkusR Well-Known Member Licensed User

typically u can use php or asp.net at server side to provide data by http request. Lib OkHttpUtils2 can do this requests for download & upload.
    jRDC2 is much better to access Data and a VPS is more expensive than web hosting.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice