Wish Dolly zoom effect (Jaws and Vertigo)

bluedude

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

I'm investigating an app. to be able to easily create the Dolly Zoom effect used in Jaws and other movies. See a sample here:
There is no app. for it. To create the effect manually is a pain.

My idea would be to have an app. that runs on a phone that can be put on a motorized dummy that moves back slowly.

The problem is that we need a timed zoom effect in the app. and a way to keep the subject boxed in the middle of the screen. So in general I would need:

- a camera view;
- an overlay that shows a box around the subject;
- a timed zoom (possible with cameraview?)

Even more awesome would be an automatic zoom that zooms out/in when moving back or forward. This could be done with the accelerometer I assume.

Any suggestions?

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The problem is that we need a timed zoom effect in the app. and a way to keep the subject boxed in the middle of the screen.

That's not how dolly zoom works. Instead you would need to put the phone on some physical contraption (like a piece of train rail) and while it moves you'd adjust the field of vision on the camera. To my knowledge most people have neither train rails lying around, nor do they have a mobile phone where it's possible to adjust the field of vision.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolly_zoom

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
That's not how dolly zoom works. Instead you would need to put the phone on some physical contraption (like a piece of train rail) and while it moves you'd adjust the field of vision on the camera. To my knowledge most people have neither train rails lying around, nor do they have a mobile phone where it's possible to adjust the field of vision.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolly_zoom
If there is no train available, cattle transport could be used

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
If there is no train available, cattle transport could be used

That's a very good point. And if that doesn't work, I suppose one could train a snail to carry the mobile. A snail rail, as they say in Hollywood.

(And in some areas of Hollywood they are very cost conscious so the snail also handles some postal duties for the movie companies, which makes it a snail rail mail.)

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Try this example in B4J for the Dolly Zoom effect

Without train

B4j
ezgif.com-crop.gif

Attachments

• DollyB4J.zip
    373.6 KB · Views: 297
Last edited:

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
B4A
ezgif.com-crop.gif

Attachments

• DollyB4A.zip
    380.6 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Nice, but not a dolly effect. :)
Yes I know, I should have a video behind and not a photo.
BUT I don't have it and I did the best with what I had and in 2 lines of code :p

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
BUT I don't have it and I did the best with what I had and in 2 lines of code

It's all in good spirit, and I realize you made this in rocket speed. :)

Yes I know, I should have a video behind and not a photo

Actually, it's not as simple as think you should have a video in the background. It's all about the field of vision. Here, I found a clip explaining: