B4R Tutorial ESP32 Camera Picture Capture and Video Streaming! (Updated with code!)

Hello!

Last December I made a request for support for the ESP32 Camera support. Well, I finally found the time to work on it myself and here's my initial attempt at implementing this with B4R. I'm using an ESP32CAM camera board with 4GB of PSRAM (like extended memory for the camera). I'm using one similar to this one you can find on Amazon. The board has an OV2640 2MP camera and an SD card slot (it's worth mentioning this model does not have a USB interface so you'll need an FTDI programmer).

I started with knowing nothing about image capture or video streaming to a working prototype, after about a week, I'm happy to say it works :).

The B4R app allows for picture capture using a /pic URL and stream video using /live over HTTP.

You can see a small demo of the screen capture and video on . The video shows my attempt to capture my daughter's toy duck picture (had a problem lining up the camera) using the /pic URL. Then I show video streaming from the camera in browser and inVLC using the /live URL. You can see the debug info as connections come in my B4R log window on the right of the screen.

The picture below is my ESP32 Camera board, my FTDI programmer on the left and my wiring.

devboard.jpg

Basically I'm using inline C to access the camera driver (which is now part of the Arduino library), and B4R WiFiServerSocket for the web server. It actually works quite well for a $10 camera and microcontroller. I plan on doing a full blown tutorial here on how it works and posting the source code (in the next day or so - I want to do a proper tutorial because I learned a lot during this fun project.

I want to contribute back to the community since I get so much from here. I hope you enjoy! :)

See the below lengthy tutorial and code :)

Last edited:

KiloBravo

Licensed User
Interesting. I have not looked at the code in ages but I wonder if setting all the unused pins to outputs would help. Might try and experiment tonight with that or look at a hardware mod.

I had good frame rates but eventually it would always lock up after 5 minutes to 60 minutes and I would need to reboot the esp32. I was using 5 volt power.

yaqoob

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello!

Last December I made a request for support for the ESP32 Camera support. Well, I finally found the time to work on it myself and here's my initial attempt at implementing this with B4R. I'm using an ESP32CAM camera board with 4GB of PSRAM (like extended memory for the camera). I'm using one similar to this one you can find on Amazon. The board has an OV2640 2MP camera and an SD card slot (it's worth mentioning this model does not have a USB interface so you'll need an FTDI programmer).

I started with knowing nothing about image capture or video streaming to a working prototype, after about a week, I'm happy to say it works :).

The B4R app allows for picture capture using a /pic URL and stream video using /live over HTTP.

You can see a small demo of the screen capture and video on . The video shows my attempt to capture my daughter's toy duck picture (had a problem lining up the camera) using the /pic URL. Then I show video streaming from the camera in browser and inVLC using the /live URL. You can see the debug info as connections come in my B4R log window on the right of the screen.

The picture below is my ESP32 Camera board, my FTDI programmer on the left and my wiring.

View attachment 84370

Basically I'm using inline C to access the camera driver (which is now part of the Arduino library), and B4R WiFiServerSocket for the web server. It actually works quite well for a $10 camera and microcontroller. I plan on doing a full blown tutorial here on how it works and posting the source code (in the next day or so - I want to do a proper tutorial because I learned a lot during this fun project.

I want to contribute back to the community since I get so much from here. I hope you enjoy! :)

See the below lengthy tutorial and code :)
Hello Miker2069

Thank you for your efforts in converting the Arduino esp32-cam to B4R. I uploaded the application, and it works perfectly in gray, but once I comment "s->set_special_effect(s, 2); //grayscale," the application crashes. Any help to solve this problem? I am using the AI Thinker board.

Thank you