Examples of popular commercial apps with b4ppc

mjcoon

Licensed User
Here are working links to the programs...
Each program usually has a CAB and a DATA FOLDER, ...

Thank you Sarah, that is a wonderful effort (and the promise of source so I can stop whinging and add my own search function!).

But meanwhile one more whinge: I still cannot find any TREEdata for PPC or PC...

Mike.

SarahWard

Banned
Thank you Sarah, that is a wonderful effort (and the promise of source so I can stop whinging and add my own search function!).

But meanwhile one more whinge: I still cannot find any TREEdata for PPC or PC...

Mike.
Hi Mike

I updated the links list for Pocket Trees. Simply download the screen type (QVGA, VGA or HTC-VGA) and the relevent DATA FOLDER (QVGA or VGA). The PC VERSION is the final link in the Trees list.

Sarah

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
WMDreamRemote (WMDR)

Here is an application that I am currently busy with and which I have written in Basic4PPC:

[APP] WMDreamRemote (new vers. 0.6 - 22/02/2010) - control your Dreambox remotely - xda-developers

It's a remote control software to manage a certain type of satellite-receivers called Dreambox. More information if you read the thread mentioned above.

Here is a video-preview of the current beta I am working on, with streaming support. It means that you can watch satellite-TV on the device:

YouTube - WMDR - Dreambox Remote (with streaming to HD2)

This is just another example to show how versatile Basic4PPC is for developing software - whatever the category.

Sparky

@ SarahWard
Hi Sarah. I wonder if you can advise on a problem I am facing with Pocket Birds. I previously had version 2.0.9 installed & loved the program. I saw that version 4.3.1 was available with VGA data & wanted to upgrade. I installed the new cab file & copied across the new data folder (all content placed within PBEdata which is in the root of my storage card). However I get an error "Two Storage Cards detected. Using card #2iPAQ File Store" & then followed by error "Data Folder Missing! Check the storage card". From your user manual, appendix 4 I followed the instructions for Manual Card Setting - but to no avail, I still get same errors. I have entered "\SD Card\" in SDCARD.TXT & 0 into MANUAL_CARD.TXT.

Not sure if it's relevant but I still have previous version installed with the old content moved to a folder called "PBEData-old" in the root of my storage card - because I wanted to check that the new version worked before uninstalling the old version.

To summarize, I wish to set "SD Card" as my storage location but am unable to do so.

Thanks, Sparky

SarahWard

Banned
@ SarahWard
Hi Sarah. I wonder if you can advise on a problem I am facing with Pocket Birds. I previously had version 2.0.9 installed & loved the program. I saw that version 4.3.1 was available with VGA data & wanted to upgrade. I installed the new cab file & copied across the new data folder (all content placed within PBEdata which is in the root of my storage card). However I get an error "Two Storage Cards detected. Using card #2iPAQ File Store" & then followed by error "Data Folder Missing! Check the storage card". From your user manual, appendix 4 I followed the instructions for Manual Card Setting - but to no avail, I still get same errors. I have entered "\SD Card\" in SDCARD.TXT & 0 into MANUAL_CARD.TXT.

Not sure if it's relevant but I still have previous version installed with the old content moved to a folder called "PBEData-old" in the root of my storage card - because I wanted to check that the new version worked before uninstalling the old version.

To summarize, I wish to set "SD Card" as my storage location but am unable to do so.

Thanks, Sparky

Hi Sparky

Yes, this issue was fixed in the next point release. I will update the links. ;)

Try this version...

ALL PDA Program CABs 4.3.2(WM5/WM6):
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZCPA0LZ9

Sarah

Last edited:

SarahWard

Banned

Mike.

Hi Mike

I posted the source folder for Pocket Birds in the links post (this topic page 2).

Sarah

mjcoon

Licensed User
I posted the source folder for Pocket Birds in the links post (this topic page 2).

Thanks very much Sarah; Klaus was writing of having a look at your source.

But that is the one that is of less interest to me because I have the RSPB PPC birds app. I was hoping for the trees source because it would be of interest to me to be able to look up a tree by name. Maybe butterflies too; I downloaded both of those programs of yours.

Best wishes, Mike.

klaus

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Sarah,

I played a bit with your Bird source code, quite interesting.

A changed some parts, as suggestions, trying to simplify it.
Some comments:

- I needed to change manualy the content of the desktop.txt file with the default path. I suggest to change it to AppPath&"\"&pdata

- Your original Prefs.txt file contains 11 parameters, but when you save it you save only 9 parameters. You had no problem yet because you never really used the variables COMis and BAUDis, they are wrong after the first reading.

- I set a type for every variable. That's how I found the problem with the Prefs.txt file.

- I removed the ImgBird control, it is not necessary. I use only Img1 for all images. When the image is smaller than the screen size there is no scrolling and the image can be scrolled when it is bigger than the screen size. In your code, only the big image could be scrolled but not the map neither and the photo.

- I changed the MouseMove routines for the images. In your program the image is flickering. I'm not shure if the way I did it now is what you wanted originaly.

- I wouldn't have used a Panel and an Image to scroll the images but a BitmapEx object and drawing the appropriate part of the image directly onto the form using the ImageLibEx, but that's just my vision.

- In the menu, what is MnuBird (Bird Topography) supposed to display. The program looks for a bird.jpg file in the PBEdata directory but there is none. I copied birdscape.jpg from the main directory to PBEdata and changed it's name.

- Changed LatinOn and ShoPhotos to Boolean variables.

- For the preferences I would have used a specific form with all the parameters visible at once and possible to chage them, instead of having them in the menu.

All the point above are suggestions and just my point of view.

Attached your qvga version 4.4.0, based on your version 4.3.1.

I don't have tested everything, perhaps there are some bugs. I tested it only on the desktop.

I'm almost shure that you could have 1 source code for the 3 configurations but I haven't looked at the differences in your source files yet.

Best regards.

Attachments

• PBirds 440 qvga.zip
    12.4 KB · Views: 261

wm.chatman

Licensed User
Longtime User
hi Sarah

you do have some very cool Apps looks very nice !

would you be happy to share the source code for Minerals Pro program with me ? I do like this one.

I do find your source codes as inspirational.

Thank you much Sahra

Best Regards.

William

Last edited:

wm.chatman

Licensed User
Longtime User
:)Sahra

having problems with the links Download Site for your Minerals Pro App.:(

would you please be so kind, and help me on that one ?

Thank you alot Sahra.

Best regards.

William

SarahWard

Banned
:)Sahra

having problems with the links Download Site for your Minerals Pro App.:(

would you please be so kind, and help me on that one ?

Thank you alot Sahra.

Best regards.

William
Hi William

I'd be happy to share the source folder of the Minerals program with you. The minerals program uses an sqlite database (converted from an standard sequal database on the desktop). Give me a few days to make some new RAR files and I will post them here.:)

Sarah

SarahWard

Banned
Hi Sarah,

I played a bit with your Bird source code, quite interesting.

A changed some parts, as suggestions, trying to simplify it.
Some comments:

- I needed to change manualy the content of the desktop.txt file with the default path. I suggest to change it to AppPath&"\"&pdata
To be honest I have never really understood the full implications of using the apppath command. :)

- Your original Prefs.txt file contains 11 parameters, but when you save it you save only 9 parameters. You had no problem yet because you never really used the variables COMis and BAUDis, they are wrong after the first reading.

- I set a type for every variable. That's how I found the problem with the Prefs.txt file.
Yes, I understand. The preferences file was set out in an order so that it could be used by both the two types of GPS library. The standard GPS code requires Baud and Port values to be entered but the HTC GPS code auto-opens the port without these values being explicitly required. So the Htc code would not use these two values but the legacy standard GPS code would use them.

- I removed the ImgBird control, it is not necessary. I use only Img1 for all images. When the image is smaller than the screen size there is no scrolling and the image can be scrolled when it is bigger than the screen size. In your code, only the big image could be scrolled but not the map neither and the photo.

- I changed the MouseMove routines for the images. In your program the image is flickering. I'm not shure if the way I did it now is what you wanted originaly.
Excellent work! I did the best I could and stay within the framework basic libraries used with b4ppc. And once the thing worked I moved on to another thing. I also found that, on the desktop the scrolled image flickered badly but didn't know how to stop it. The PDA version seemed to be ok.

- I wouldn't have used a Panel and an Image to scroll the images but a BitmapEx object and drawing the appropriate part of the image directly onto the form using the ImageLibEx, but that's just my vision.
Well I appreciate you taking the time to improve this software, Klaus. I am impressed with your changes and will change the VGA version to match this one.

- In the menu, what is MnuBird (Bird Topography) supposed to display. The program looks for a bird.jpg file in the PBEdata directory but there is none. I copied birdscape.jpg from the main directory to PBEdata and changed it's name.
This is the labeled jpg of a bird. On QVGA it can be scrolled to see all of the image.

- Changed LatinOn and ShoPhotos to Boolean variables.
I always used -1 for true and 1 for false. So I could toggle them like a switch with x = -x. It is why I haven't used the True/False assignments (I think these are 1 and 0).

- For the preferences I would have used a specific form with all the parameters visible at once and possible to chage them, instead of having them in the menu.
If I had known how many options would be asked for in the program I would have had a form/page with all the options on it too! In fact, I agree with you and I may just change this to an options form. It would tidy up the soft menu area. :)

All the point above are suggestions and just my point of view.

Attached your qvga version 4.4.0, based on your version 4.3.1.

I don't have tested everything, perhaps there are some bugs. I tested it only on the desktop.

I'm almost shure that you could have 1 source code for the 3 configurations but I haven't looked at the differences in your source files yet.

Best regards.
The reason I have not been able to use a single source code, Klaus is due to using GPS code. For some reason you cannot use both GPS libraries (standard GPS and HTC GPS) and code in the one source file. It will not compile with both GPS types in the same source code.

Thanks, Klaus, for your excellent input and improvements. I will most certainly use them. :) :)

Sarah

klaus

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Sarah,
To be honest I have never really understood the full implications of using the apppath command.
AppPath contains the name of the directory from where the program is started. If you put everything concerning a program in it's directory you don't need to care about where the program was started from, with AppStart you get it.

Yes, I understand. The preferences file was set out in an order so that it could be used by both the two types of GPS library.
I understand that you could need different variables for different versions of the program, but the original Prefs.txt file didn't work properly. If in one version you don't need some values you must read these values with dummy variables to remain coherent.

I always used -1 for true and 1 for false. So I could toggle them like a switch with x = -x. It is why I haven't used the True/False assignments (I think these are 1 and 0).
I remember that in VB6 False = 0 and True = -1.
I use False and True because, for example in your code:
B4X:
[SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]LatinON = - LatinON[/FONT][/SIZE]
[/FONT][/SIZE][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]If[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2] LatinON = - [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080]1[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Then[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2]MnuName.checked = [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080]True[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Else[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2]MnuName.checked = [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#800080]False[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]End[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]If[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
can be replaced by:
B4X:
[SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]LatinON = [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Not[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2](LatinON)[/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]MnuName.checked = LatinON[/FONT][/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Best regards.

SarahWard

Banned
hi Sarah

you do have some very cool Apps looks very nice !

would you be happy to share the source code for Minerals Pro program with me ? I do like this one.

I do find your source codes as inspirational.

Thank you much Sahra

Best Regards.

William
William

Source folder and latest download links for Pocket Minerals FULL and LITE now in post #20 of this thread.

Note.. the FULL version is for serious/professional users, the LITE version is for the rest of us and it has extra features to view the gem photos. It has limited gems (about 1400 of the best minerals vs. about 4100 in the ful version).

Sarah

mjcoon

Licensed User
You will find newest data links on the main Pocket Trees page here:

http://forum.mobilism.org/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=110920

Source coming here soon.

Sarah

Thanks Sarah, but trying the link I got:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '.82.231' at line 1 [1064]

An SQL error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact the Board Administrator if this problem persists.

If you refresh and this error is still here, we may be working on the site. You can check the status page here: PPC Warez (ppcwarez) on Twitter

Thanks also for the promise of source.

Mike.

SarahWard

Banned
Aviasoft b4ppc freeware new website

Aviasoft Pocket Freeware (written with b4ppc)

I have put all my freeware programs in one website for easy download.

GPS on PPC

Pocket Birds Europe
-------------------
Pocket Butterflies Europe
-----------------
Pocket Wild Flowers Europe
------------
Pocket Herbs
-------------
Pocket Trees Europe
-------------
Pocket Fungi Europe