Android Question EXISTING App Issue : Let Google Play manage your app signing key...

chris ash

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Guys

Ok so I had to upload a new app recently, and it required me to use one of these new .aab file types to upload. It took me a while to sort that but I managed it. Creating a new Private Sign Key along the way. I was able to upload the new app no worries, and even submit and update for it.

Moving on I now have a pre existing App that I have been quite happily updating in .apk format. I now need to update the App but want to upload it in the new .aab format. To do this I need to opt into them signing the app, see below screen shot...

On Play without opt in.png

So I then click the opt in option. Im then presented with a few options, the one pictured below is the one I have been following....

Step 2 options.png

I have followed the guide and used the PEPK tool to export a Zip file...

Cmd.png

It accepts the passwords (store and key, key I had no idea on but it accepts the password I give so I guess must be right), which I assume means I am entering the correct info. If you enter a wrong password at any point it just errors out.

Its pointed to my new Keystore that the apps use (shown in B4a below)...

In B4a.png

So on the play store I then go to upload this new "private key" well thats what they tell me to upload, and I guess they are referring to the output from the above PEPK instruction. Output.zip I then get this error...

Final bit.png

I have seen a few posts regarding this same issue. But no one seems to have an answer to the issue I am seeing. I'm sure its something really simple that I am missing or doing wrong but I am just finding the whole process very confusing.

Thanks in advance for any assistance
CAsh

Attachments

• 1673367866042.png
    1673367866042.png
    96.7 KB · Views: 92
  • 1673368206700.png
    1673368206700.png
    293 KB · Views: 58

MarcoRome

Expert
Licensed User