Android Tutorial Signing your application before uploading to Google Play

Discussion in 'Tutorials & Examples' started by Erel, Dec 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tofd

tofd New Member Licensed User

Yes with my v1.8 the Keystore was inside the Objects folder.
    I just change to another folder and all is OK now!
    Very thank you Erel ;).

2. unba1300

unba1300 Guest

Can this process be done at any stage during the development of an app, or should we wait until all debugging is done? Thanks.

3. Erel

Erel Administrator Staff Member Licensed User

It can be done at any stage you like. You can use the private key all the time.

4. unba1300

unba1300 Guest

What should we enter in the Organization field if we don't have a company name? Or should it be left blank?

5. Erel

You can leave it empty.

6. Shadow&Max

Shadow&Max Active Member Licensed User

Erel... I just want to be clear about this before I release my app...

I created a key but I didn't know exactly what I was doing and hadn't read the thread yet. This was a while ago.

Now, I want to create a new key, store it, and make sure the app uses it. Will the old key conflict with the new key in any way? I don't remember doing anything else other than creating the key and I do know where the first one's saved.

If I create a new key, is there anything I have to do to the app to use the new one I created? This is where I'm confused. When I created the key the first time, does B4A store reference to that and use it from there on? So, if I create a new key in another location, will it replace the old key I created inside of B4A?

I really don't want to screw up here... especially now after all this work.

OK, I think I've got this but just want to be sure. I made a new key, saved it and it's info (email to myself with screenshots, typed codes, and the keystore attached). I also compiled the app and tried to load it to my phone but it failed because the identification didn't match... then uninstalled the app from the phone, and reinstalled from B4A and it worked fine.

So, if I'm correct, now, that keystore that I saved will ALWAYS be used by B4A until I change it (which I probably won't do again now), and I never have to worry about this again as long as the saved keystore file is there where I saved it??? Is this correct?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  7. Erel

Yes. The only thing you need to make sure is that you have a backup copy. Other than that you cannot do any mistake. Google will not let you upload your app if it is signed with the wrong key.

8. Shadow&Max

Shadow&Max Active Member Licensed User

OK, then all set... Thanks Erel!

9. achtrade

achtrade Active Member Licensed User

I'm creating a keystore for first time, but I'm getting this error:

Error creating keystore file
    Keytool error: java.io.IOExecption: Incorrect AVA format

what's wrong ?

10. Erel

Try to it again and leave the three fields with the default value (Unknown). These values are not really important.

11. achtrade

achtrade Active Member Licensed User

Solved. That's weird.

Thanks.

12. AlexMinz

AlexMinz Member Licensed User

I dont know whether I used debugged key or new key. Google Play accepted the file. Is that a sign that I take a new key?

13. Erel

Google will not accept a debug key. Make sure to backup the key you've used or otherwise you will not be able to update your app.

14. basicly_me

basicly_me Member Licensed User

Hi,

I have tried to get rid of «b4a.example» without any success. This text is nowhere to be found in my sourcecode, but somehow it ends up being in the AndroidManifest.xml
    I have edited this file, changing «b4a.example», but when I press f5 and compile, the «b4a.example» has returned to the AndroidManifest.xml.

There must be a file somewhere that can be edited so «b4a.example» dissappears?

15. Erel

Here:

[​IMG]

16. basicly_me

No, I have changed the #ApplicationLabel: a long time ago, but it doesn't help. It seems that some other file that I don't know of needs to be edited.

17. Erel

1. Post your manifest editor code.
    2. Press F5 to compile your app and post all the text from the compilation window.

18. basicly_me

Found the solution: Project/Package Name. Changed it from b4a.example which has been there since I installed. Should have found out earlier, sorry.

19. DonManfred

DonManfred Expert Licensed User

it is inside the objects folder after it got signed

20. DonManfred

DonManfred Expert Licensed User

Welcome then. Just saw that you registered yesterday...

Welcome to this great community

Chris_MobileApp likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice