Android Question First impressions and noob questions

App Dude

Licensed User
Longtime User
So I've finally gotten around to downloading and trying B4A trial. Some thoughts and questions...

- One of my peeves about most new software is that you need to install to learn it, but installation often asks several experienced questions. Such Borland C++ asking if I wanted to install pre-compiled headers, but I had no idea what that was yet. I had some confusion over what exactly I needed to install with B4A, but figured it out without much issue. So I'll give that a pass.

- Now I'm into it, first issue I had was that dotnet 4.5.2 crashed some of my other important software, so I backed it off (I have v4.0). Why do I need 4.5.2 (which a message pops up to tell me when I run it)? Just performance, or features, or stability?

- There are some inconsistencies between the manual (I have Edition 2.9 dated 2014.06.03) and the software ( v5.02 (1) ). Things such as the properties of the views in the Designer are different, and I could not figure out how to set a color to ColorDarkDark (pg 42 of the manual). Other things such as various options are in different locations under the menu tree, but so far I've been able to find those.

- The search function (Ctrl-F) does not work... selecting it from the menu just does nothing. This is a biggie for me as I expect I'll need the search/replace feature.

- I've just reached the IDE portion of the manual (section 4, pg 53). I don't have a subroutine-list sub window in the lower right, as the manual says I should. Not sure how to get it.

So I ask... are any of these related to the dotnet version difference? Is there a manual that better matches this version of the software?

Thanks.

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
2) .Net 4.5.2 is generally more stable than .Net 4.0. The IDE will disable several optimizations when you use .Net 4.0 because of stability issues. Overall it is not dramatic. You can use .Net 4.0.

3) The manual will be soon updated.

4) Ctrl + F does work. Just press Ctrl + F and start writing. You will see the results.

Upvote 0

RandomCoder

Licensed User
Longtime User
@Android Dude B4A has just had a major update. This has brought with it some significant changes in the look and feel of the software. Rest assured though that all the official documentation is up to date with regard to the objects, methods and properties which can be found here.... https://www.b4x.com/android/documentation.html

The user manual is created by @klaus and this has also been updated now to reflect the visual differences in the IDE and the new features that have been added (see previous post - thanks klaus for the excellent work).

Last but not least, there's no need to struggle! We're a friendly much and there's always someone able to help and offer advice. I do ask that you read how to ask a question first though... https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/how-to-ask-a-question.9140/ following these guidelines will enable us to help you better and remove some of the guess work :)

Enjoy B4A!

Upvote 0

App Dude

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks.

The manual difference is not a showstopper, but it's nice to have one less thing to think of when learning any new software.

I misspoke about the Ctrl-F. Yes, that (Quick Search) works, but what I meant was the Find feature (F3). IE: to be able to search and replace. I should get a dialog box, but nothing happens. Has that changed? FWIW, I don't get the dialog even when I select the Find/Replace option from the menu.

Upvote 0

App Dude

Licensed User
Longtime User
Other than focus being taken off of the code panel, I don't see any difference.
Before pressing F3...

B4A-F3-01.gif

After pressing F3...

B4A-F3-02.gif

Upvote 0

App Dude

Licensed User
Longtime User
Ok. I suspect Win 8.1, so thinking I'll try one of the compatability modes. Anyone else on Win 8.1 have this issue?

Upvote 0

App Dude

Licensed User
Longtime User
^^^ Yep, got that, but would be nice to know for sure before getting the full version. These are the things that trial versions exist for.

Upvote 0

App Dude

Licensed User
Longtime User
DonManfred, I probably didn't make my concern clear... I know that's what i should be expecting, but it's not what I am seeing. Erel is listed as an admin and I'm guessing a developer (?) and hasn't stated that it's a known disabled feature in the trial version, so it seems to be a bug, and not clear that it will work on *my* system if I had the full version. Hence my attempt to figure out how to fix it now.

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Could it be a bug?
It might be a bug in the trial version. I wasn't able to reproduce it in the trial.
As no one has encountered it in the full version I'm closing this issue for now. If @Android Dude decides to purchase B4A and will encounter this issue in the full version we can further investigate it.

Also remember that we offer 30 days of full money back guarantee.

Upvote 0