Android Question Is B4A for me?

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by Android Dude, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Android Dude

Android Dude Member

Hi all,

New here. Stumbled upon this tool/forum while searching for an Android app development platform. I have some initial questions I hope someone can answer...

Some background: I did some Android programming about 4-5 years ago (Java + SDK), but even though I have used Java a decade prior, it's a lot to know/remember for an occasional app developer, as I will be. And I hated Eclipse. Yes, it's supposed to be powerful, but I really did not need all the fancy bells and whistles. I'm really an embedded C & assembly programmer nowadays.

Most of what I want to do here is create various UI apps that will let me send and receive data through bluetooth (and probably wifi later), to my microcontroller/electronics projects. About 4-5 years ago, the SDK API docs for bluetooth were still a work in progress, so that added to the frustration.

I'm back in a similar situation again and hoping that B4A can simplify things for me. BASIC should be much simpler to pick up (and remember) than Java, so that is a good start. Is bluetooth/serial simple in B4A? Good examples available? Is B4A relatively stable? Though I don't need any screaming performance, is it decent with B4A?

What else should I know here?

Thanks.

2. DonManfred

DonManfred Expert Licensed User

If you write good source your app will be stable. It depends on the coder :)

I dont have much experiences with it but what i did was easy. Others may give an more congrete answer ;)

@Peter Simpson maybe? :D

Yes
    - Read the Beginners guide and the user guide
    - Search the forum for solutions first. Then Create a new thread for your issue insted of posting to an old thread
    - B4A IS the right solution! Forget about Eclipse/java but you may run into situations where java-knowledge is a advantage

Edit:
    - Use code-Tags when posting code ;-)

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  3. Erel

Erel Administrator Staff Member Licensed User

You should learn about AsyncStreams. Once you understand how it works it will be relatively simple.
    http://www.b4x.com/search?query=AsyncStreams

B4A is stable.

B4A apps performance is similar to Java apps performance.

4. Jmu5667

Jmu5667 Well-Known Member Licensed User

I have used Bluetooth/Serial/Wifi etc in B4A, and it is simply rock solid. Buy a license, you wont regret it !

lemonisdead and LucaMs like this.
  5. Informatix

Informatix Expert Licensed User

B4A is a translator Basic -> Java, so there's no strong reason to get poor performance or poor stability. Bugs that we encounter (outside of third-party libraries) are the same that a Java developer encounters because we do the same calls to the same Google API.

6. cambopad

cambopad Active Member Licensed User

I can say B4A is stable and will save you development time!

Peter Simpson, lemonisdead and LucaMs like this.
  7. Jaames

Jaames Active Member Licensed User

I will not tell you anything about technical stuff, there are more advanced people for that, but I'll tell you this, once you try B4A , you are on the hook, you'll love it ;). Good luck and welcome :)

8. Android Dude

Android Dude Member

Well that sounds quite convincing... I will start going through the tutorials, etc then.

Much thanks.

9. lemonisdead

lemonisdead Well-Known Member Licensed User

Don't know if you're a pro or not but if you're it's the best investment you can do to produce good code and not being limited compared to other solutions.
    And as you have seen, the community is very helpful (we have a lot of kind experts ready to help and a genius mind who already replied above).

Johan Schoeman likes this.
  10. LucaMs

LucaMs Expert Licensed User

Thank you, @lemonisdead

:p

Jaames, Peter Simpson and RandomCoder like this.
  11. Beja

Beja Expert Licensed User

Hi
    90% of my projects are about talking to the outside workd, using asyncstreams and bluetooth, wireless data xceivers. etc.
    B4A gave me the same old inp and out of quick basic when addressed the printer port

12. Android Dude

Android Dude Member

This is actually one of my secrets before getting involved with any software, tool, product, etc... As most companies seem to be going to community support (which is not a bad thing if we can get commercial level products at hobbyist prices), I post in the forums as I've done here to evaluate how the community support is. And you folks have done really well so far! ;)

13. DonManfred

DonManfred Expert Licensed User

:D

Watch @Erel posts for a few days... I´m sure you will find at least 50 new posts. EACH DAY

The support here (Seller and Community) is noteable

14. incendio

incendio Well-Known Member Licensed User

Yeah, the support here is excellence.

Came without a knowledge of java and basic, I can learn pretty quick through forum, example, & a lots of free useful library.

lemonisdead and LucaMs like this.
  15. LucaMs

LucaMs Expert Licensed User

50 new posts each day?

I doubt it.

upload_2015-7-19_9-55-42.png

16. tufanv

tufanv Expert Licensed User

You wont regret b4a. 2 years ago I was lost a basic programmer , with b4a I am back in game ! =)

Erel and LucaMs like this.