Android Question Is B4A for me?

App Dude

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi all,

New here. Stumbled upon this tool/forum while searching for an Android app development platform. I have some initial questions I hope someone can answer...

Some background: I did some Android programming about 4-5 years ago (Java + SDK), but even though I have used Java a decade prior, it's a lot to know/remember for an occasional app developer, as I will be. And I hated Eclipse. Yes, it's supposed to be powerful, but I really did not need all the fancy bells and whistles. I'm really an embedded C & assembly programmer nowadays.

Most of what I want to do here is create various UI apps that will let me send and receive data through bluetooth (and probably wifi later), to my microcontroller/electronics projects. About 4-5 years ago, the SDK API docs for bluetooth were still a work in progress, so that added to the frustration.

I'm back in a similar situation again and hoping that B4A can simplify things for me. BASIC should be much simpler to pick up (and remember) than Java, so that is a good start. Is bluetooth/serial simple in B4A? Good examples available? Is B4A relatively stable? Though I don't need any screaming performance, is it decent with B4A?

What else should I know here?

Thanks.

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
If you write good source your app will be stable. It depends on the coder :)

Is bluetooth/serial simple in B4A?
I dont have much experiences with it but what i did was easy. Others may give an more congrete answer ;)

@Peter Simpson maybe? :D

Is B4A relatively stable?
Yes
- Read the Beginners guide and the user guide
- Search the forum for solutions first. Then Create a new thread for your issue insted of posting to an old thread
- B4A IS the right solution! Forget about Eclipse/java but you may run into situations where java-knowledge is a advantage

Edit:
- Use code-Tags when posting code ;-)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

Jmu5667

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi all,

New here. Stumbled upon this tool/forum while searching for an Android app development platform. I have some initial questions I hope someone can answer...

Some background: I did some Android programming about 4-5 years ago (Java + SDK), but even though I have used Java a decade prior, it's a lot to know/remember for an occasional app developer, as I will be. And I hated Eclipse. Yes, it's supposed to be powerful, but I really did not need all the fancy bells and whistles. I'm really an embedded C & assembly programmer nowadays.

Most of what I want to do here is create various UI apps that will let me send and receive data through bluetooth (and probably wifi later), to my microcontroller/electronics projects. About 4-5 years ago, the SDK API docs for bluetooth were still a work in progress, so that added to the frustration.

I'm back in a similar situation again and hoping that B4A can simplify things for me. BASIC should be much simpler to pick up (and remember) than Java, so that is a good start. Is bluetooth/serial simple in B4A? Good examples available? Is B4A relatively stable? Though I don't need any screaming performance, is it decent with B4A?

Thanks.
I have used Bluetooth/Serial/Wifi etc in B4A, and it is simply rock solid. Buy a license, you wont regret it !

Upvote 0

Informatix

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Is B4A relatively stable? Though I don't need any screaming performance, is it decent with B4A?
B4A is a translator Basic -> Java, so there's no strong reason to get poor performance or poor stability. Bugs that we encounter (outside of third-party libraries) are the same that a Java developer encounters because we do the same calls to the same Google API.

Upvote 0

lemonisdead

Licensed User
Longtime User
Don't know if you're a pro or not but if you're it's the best investment you can do to produce good code and not being limited compared to other solutions.
And as you have seen, the community is very helpful (we have a lot of kind experts ready to help and a genius mind who already replied above).

Upvote 0

App Dude

Licensed User
Longtime User
And as you have seen, the community is very helpful (we have a lot of kind experts ready to help and a genius mind who already replied above).

This is actually one of my secrets before getting involved with any software, tool, product, etc... As most companies seem to be going to community support (which is not a bad thing if we can get commercial level products at hobbyist prices), I post in the forums as I've done here to evaluate how the community support is. And you folks have done really well so far! ;)

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
And you folks have done really well so far! ;)
:D

Watch @Erel posts for a few days... I´m sure you will find at least 50 new posts. EACH DAY

The support here (Seller and Community) is noteable

Upvote 0