iOS Question Free developer account to load our B4i apps?

David Martinez

Licensed User
Longtime User
I just checked this out and it is very interesting. Can we use this free developer account to load our B4i apps on our iPhones/iPads?
Your Apple ID now works as a free developer account. As stated at the outset, this account can be used for sideloading apps via Xcode. You will not be able to submit apps to the App Store, or download iOS, OS X, watchOS, or tvOS developer betas. A $99/year paid developer account is still required to enjoy those privileges.

http://9to5mac.com/2016/03/27/how-to-create-free-apple-developer-account-sideload-apps/

wl

Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes, that's possible. You can find tutorials on the web.

In short:
- you need to have XCode 7 or higher (7.3 is the current version)
- convert your apple id into a free developer account
- link your (free) apple ID in XCode ("preferences")
- in Xcode register the connected iPhone/iPad (it should be connected using a USB cable I think)

- build your B4I project using the B4IBuilder (Build release app, NOT the B4I bridge)
- open the B4I project in Xcode
- on project-level set the code signing to your apple account
- choose the device as output
- buid/run

Last edited:
Upvote 0

b4auser1

Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes, that's possible. You can find tutorials on the web.

In short:
- you need to have XCode 7 or higher (7.3 is the current version)
- convert your apple id into a free developer account
- link your (free) apple ID in XCode ("preferences")
- in Xcode register the connected iPhone/iPad (it should be connected using a USB cable I think)

- build your B4I project using the B4IBuilder (Build release app, NOT the B4I bridge)
- open the B4I project in Xcode
- on project-level set the code signing to your apple account
- choose the device as output
- buid/run
+
If XCode asks to resolve Issue "Update to recommended settings" accept it.

A couple of weeks ago I did this exercise and discovered, that simple test apps run on device. But more or less complicated apps can be installed, but they don't run. I didn't understand why.

By the way, if we can do it manually, then I hope Erel can automate the process to do everything with one click from B4i IDE.

Upvote 0

wl

Licensed User
Longtime User
Last edited:
Upvote 0

b4auser1

Licensed User
Longtime User
What kind of "more or less complicated apps" did not run ? Did they use specific functionality ?
Really nothing complex: I created a small framework in B4i to simplify working with db and TableView + helper sources to work sqlite, string manipulation, ...
The app works on Simulator, but doesn't start on device. Maybe the problem specific to the app. Manual process of installation to device (you understand me ;)) is time consuming and I didn't start to investigate futher.

Upvote 0

wl

Licensed User
Longtime User
Strange. Would be interesting to know that/what some things would simply not work (what Erel also suggests in the "wish" post).

Upvote 0

b4auser1

Licensed User
Longtime User
If Erel adds feature to install app with free developer account, then I will be able to locate the problem without spending a lot of time (changed code - tried on device with with single B4i command)

Upvote 0

David Martinez

Licensed User
Longtime User
I couldn't get passed "Waiting for IDE...." on the emulator or device running from Xcode as well. It just hangs. When you start the app from B4i, I also see that "Waiting" screen but it then starts the app immediately after. It's probably something simple.

Upvote 0

wl

Licensed User
Longtime User
When you want to run your application on your Mac (simulator):
- make sure the B4i-bridge application is running on your Mac
- set the server settings in B4I (IP address of your Mac)
- Make a B4-bridge app from within B4I and run it
-> the application should be started in the simulator

When you want to make an application and run it on your iPhone/iPad connected to you Mac:
- make sure you build a "release app" in B4I
- open de generated Xcode from within Xcode
- set the keys
- run it from there on your device.

Upvote 0