B4J Question freezing B4j for short periods

Status
Not open for further replies.

MbedAndroid

Licensed User
Longtime User
something really annoying. With the latest B4j during typing/editing B4J freezes, after short while you see a turning circle, and then after 10-20 seconds the editor goes on again.
Happens many times when you are typing, scrolling of what ever.
Looks a bit like the program needs some time to sort things or update the database.

If you are typing and the program blocks, then you will see the typed chars after 10-20 seconds and busniss goes on again.

This wasnt in older releases...

Using a very fast laptop (i7) with lots of memory

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
From a comics strip of decades ago: "oh my, don't say that, today cosmetics does miracles! " :)
It was not my appearance I was referring to (however that could use some work - for the ladies), it was (is) my demeanor. I am often crass, arrogant and totally blind to the sensitive need of others... Yet, - here I go again - they (we) should suck it up and grow a pair...

DANG - Did I just say That?

Better this be in Chit chat section, since this is getting off topic - or we shall reap the wrath of the forum ( like erel and don )...

Last edited:
Reactions: udg
Upvote 0

MbedAndroid

Licensed User
Longtime User
zip file in my case is for B4J is around 21 meg
projectfolder is d:/B4jproject/domotics, so just on second HDD (no SDD)

B4A zip is around 7 meg, located in c: Downloads (SDD drive)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
zip file in my case is for B4J is around 21 meg
projectfolder is d:/B4jproject/domotics, so just on second HDD (no SDD)

B4A zip is around 7 meg, located in c: Downloads (SDD drive)
You must have many large images...

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
However, a folder is just a folder...?
Not always. If it was a Dropbox folder or network folder then it could have explained it.
It is expected that the IDE will freeze for a few seconds if the zip is large (20mb). I'm not sure why it is slow with a small project.
You need to make more tests. Does it take a long time to delete a file on your PC? Does it take so long with all projects?

Upvote 0

Daestrum

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I get little hiccups in the IDE but it seems to be Win 10 spell checking trying to decide if JavaObject etc is a real word and have I spelt it correctly.

Upvote 0

MbedAndroid

Licensed User
Longtime User
well: i copied the backups found in Autobackup folder to a new location. 8x22 meg. Operation took around 2 -3 seconds
Then i deleted the same backups all in 1 time: a flash... couldnt mesure it.
Both folders are located on my 2nd HDD, non SDD.
Deleted also a couple of pictures, all around 4 meg size. Flash... cant count the time.
Using a very fast laptop never noticed a issue with deleting or creating.

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
There are two different cases discussed here:
1. It is expected that the IDE will freeze for several seconds when it builds a zip file of 22 mb. This can of course should be improved but it is expected as the zip is being built on the main thread.
2. It is not expected that the IDE will freeze for more than 2-3 seconds when the zip file is small.

It was a mistake to discuss both issues in the same thread and I'm therefore closing it.

Anyway, you can always disable auto backup under Tools - IDE Options.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.