B4A Library Google Analytics v4 library

Status
Not open for further replies.
Google Analytics V4: https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/android/v4/

The instructions were updated to reflect V4 changes. Note that this library will only work with B4A v3.82+.

Setup instructions:
- Download Google Play Services from Android SDK Manager and copy google-play-services.jar to the additional libraries folder.
- Create a Mobile App Analytics account: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1042508

The tracker is configured with an XML file. You should create a file with the following text named analytics.xml and put it under Objects\res\xml (create this folder if needed):
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>

<resources>
<!--Replace placeholder ID with your tracking ID-->
<string name="ga_trackingId">UA-xxxxx-y</string>

<!--Enable Activity tracking-->
<bool name="ga_autoActivityTracking">true</bool>

<!--Enable automatic exception tracking-->
<bool name="ga_reportUncaughtExceptions">true</bool>

</resources>

Make sure to set this file to be read-only. Otherwise the IDE will delete it during compilation.

You should declare a single AnalyticsTracker in Sub Process_Globals of your main module (or other module). The single tracker should be used from all modules.
B4X:
Sub Process_Globals
   Public tracker As AnalyticsTracker
End Sub

Sub Globals

End Sub

Sub Activity_Create(FirstTime As Boolean)
   If FirstTime Then
     tracker.Initialize
   End If
   tracker.SendScreenView("Main Activity")
End Sub

Other implemented methods: TrackEvent, SendTransaction, SendTiming and SendProduct. Note that you can pass empty strings for optional parameters.

Attachments

• AnalyticsV4.zip
    3.5 KB · Views: 934
Last edited:

Ratna Fang

Licensed User
Longtime User
sorry, i don't get the point.
do you mean i just need to declare once in global for every activity, then put tracker.start in activity_resume and tracker.stop in activity.pause?

Inman

Licensed User
Longtime User
Just now I ran into an issue with this Analytics library. It was working fine till now. But today I noticed that I was using the old version of Admob library (1.x) which will be discontinued in August 2014. So I switched to version 2.0 based on the instructions given here. Now I am getting an error during compilation. How can I fix this?

B4X:
Parsing code.                          0.10
Compiling code.                        0.09
Compiling layouts code.                0.00
Generating R file.                      Error
res\values\analytics.xml:5: error: Resource at ga_trackingId appears in overlay but not in the base package; use <add-resource> to add.
res\values\analytics.xml:8: error: Resource at ga_autoActivityTracking appears in overlay but not in the base package; use <add-resource> to add.
res\values\analytics.xml:11: error: Resource at ga_reportUncaughtExceptions appears in overlay but not in the base package; use <add-resource> to add.
res\values\analytics.xml:13: error: Resource at ga_debug appears in overlay but not in the base package; use <add-resource> to add.

Inman

Licensed User
Longtime User
No I am using 3.20. Could that be the problem? I normally don't upgrade B4A in the middle of a project.

Inman

Licensed User
Longtime User
You are right. Works perfectly in 3.50. Sorry for the confusion.

GMan

Licensed User
Longtime User
Great Lib - works also with 2.71 :D

Douglas Farias

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
ty erel *-* i cant wait to google+ lib *-*

Douglas Farias

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
why this error on the xml?

is correct on the res folder values normal

can is my b4a version?
B4X:
Parsing code.                          0.03
Compiling code.                        0.13
Compiling layouts code.                0.02
Generating R file.                      Error
res\values\analytics.xml:4: error: Resource at ga_trackingId appears in overlay but not in the base package; use <add-resource> to add.
res\values\analytics.xml:6: error: Resource at ga_autoActivityTracking appears in overlay but not in the base package; use <add-resource> to add.
res\values\analytics.xml:8: error: Resource at ga_reportUncaughtExceptions appears in overlay but not in the base package; use <add-resource> to add.
res\values\analytics.xml:10: error: Resource at ga_logLevel appears in overlay but not in the base package; use <add-resource> to add.

GMan

Licensed User
Longtime User
Are you using AdMob library as well? If yes then it will only work with B4A v3.5+
I am using AdMob, too - and works with 2.71

Douglas Farias

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
works fine now with b4a 3.8 and admob 2.0 perfect ;)

MMORETTI964

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi, I have a strange issue with analytics.
We've followed all instructions (jar, activity_resume and activity_restart, analytics.xml with a copy of sample with our ID analytics code).
It works perfect when I send programmatically some event with TrackEvent & Dispatch.
In my console I can see in RealTime where is the user and the event sent "manually".

But when I crash my application I can't see any crashreport in analytics console.
I need to make some step to get crashreport works?
The crash is handled internally in some way by B4A and I need some code to report it to analytics or it should work automatically?
Some hints?

Thank you in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.