Android Question GPS Example

Colin Evans

Licensed User
Longtime User
It might be a hardware problem. Try to restart the device. The other apps probably don't use the GPS but rather a solution based on FusedLocationProvider.

Hi Erel, further to my question re the GPS example, I think you're right the problem seems related to my phone, I installed the app to my tablet and another phone and it works okay, everything on the phone is set correctly, In Location in settings I have it set to High accuracy to use GPS, Wi-Fi or mobile networks, and I've tried it to use Device only which is GPS but it still doesn't work

I have tried other app's and they seem okay, when I ask google for my GPS position its there immediately, whilst I accept that the problem is with the hardware what are the other apps and Google using to define the GPS lat and Long, if they are using something else is it possible to try those solutions in my app

ANy advice you can offer, with if possible examples, would be greatly appreciated, all I need is the ability to record my present GPS position, lat and long, which I will save in my database, so I just want to press a button and the current Latitude and Longitude be displayed, is it possible using something else

Colin Evans

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi, further on further investigation it looks like my phone VKWorld S8 isn't working with true GPS I have tried other apps that only use GPS, notably GPS Status and none of them can connect to GPS location, I have check online and it appears to be a problem with the phone's hardware, therefore I either buy another phone (which I don't really want to do) or I find a solution using something else that google maps and other software appear to be using, help

Upvote 0

Colin Evans

Licensed User
Longtime User
Using GPS test the system reports seeing 19 satellites but can't get a fix, does this give any clues

Upvote 0

Colin Evans

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Erel, thanks, it is the phone seems loads of people have reported the issue back to the supplier, given this is the case, can I use the FusedLocationProvider you mentioned in my app to get the current lat and long, I simply want to record the current position when I'm out on my boat to record any fish catch, are there any simple examples that i could use

Upvote 0