Android Question Hardware Settings - BMA222 acceleration sensor

rtek1000

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello,

On a smartphone I have, the acceleration sensor is the BMA222, it can operate in different ranges (± 2g, ± 4g, ± 8g, ± 16g) [g ~ 9.81m / s2],

How can I select the range, is it possible?

How can I access the I2C / SPI port of this sensor or how can I send the configuration command?

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
16g? A smartphone? AFAIK a rocket when it starts its second stage booster leads to a 3.5g acceleration for the crew.
What are supposed to whitstand our smartphones? :)

Sorry to be out of topic.

Upvote 0

rtek1000

Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes, I know it sounds unrealistic, but it would be useful for me if I can make the sensor operate on a scale above 4.5g, laboratory test vibration tables that use specific standards could be monitored more economically, as we already have many smartphones stored in the drawers. It would also be possible to use an Arduino and a sensor like Mpu-6050 or any other. The issue is that Android already provides the accelerometer reading, and the smartphone already has a display, already has a box, already has a card, already has a battery etc.

Upvote 0

rtek1000

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks for the attention, I asked on the Motorola website and also registered a question on the Android developer website, they are working to come up with some response. :) (Maybe create a "Set Range" method)

Upvote 0

JordiCP

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Just a thought: even if the range setting succeeds, you'll need to get regular samples at a given frequency to properly measure vibrations. If it cold be achieved (despite Android being in the middle), it could be a good use for old models :)

As an affordable alternative, if you don't need many, I would think of the M5Stack: http://m5stack.com/shop/index.html .
There is a boxed model with display, ESP32, battery, IOs, MPU9250,...

Upvote 0

rtek1000

Licensed User
Longtime User
Just a thought: even if the range setting succeeds, you'll need to get regular samples at a given frequency to properly measure vibrations. If it cold be achieved (despite Android being in the middle), it could be a good use for old models :)

As an affordable alternative, if you don't need many, I would think of the M5Stack: http://m5stack.com/shop/index.html .
There is a boxed model with display, ESP32, battery, IOs, MPU9250,...

Yes, I am now using MMA7361 and Arduino Nano (Fel USB lib + FTDI) @ 230400 bauds, virtually lossless (Smartphone Motorola Moto G2 and Android 6.0).
But this MMA7361 only reaches 6 g, while the internal sensor of the old smart phone reaches 16 g o_O

Upvote 0