Help me... to dream ^_^

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
As many of you know, I have in my mind a promising app for a long time (which I'll never be able to develop nor to publish, of course).

Nevertheless, I like to dream.

Every time I play Miniclip's 8 ball pool (web), at least 20,000 players are online (I've seen up to a maximum of 49,000). This is true whether Miniclip is not a liar :D.

So, let's say that in every moment of the day there are 30,000 players, on average.

Let's say that my app could get a tenth of that number because it would be created for Android, not for web. The number decreases to 3,000.

Let's say that my game is not as famous as Billiard, then we divide again for 10 and we reach 300. So, at any time of the day, there will be 300 players online (on average).

Let's say that each of them will see an Interstitial every 10 minutes. The Interstitials will be:
24 x (60 : 10) = 144 (also, there will be a Banner).
144 x 300 = 43,200 Interstitials / day.

I read that someone was able to earn $ 500 / day by displaying 70,000 Interstitial / day.
43,200 : 70,000 x 500 = $ 308 / day (about 270 €).

Maybe those were better times, so we eliminate 20%. Remain $ 246 (215 €).

This could happen if the app was good and once it reached the maximum number of users (at least one year after publication, I think).

This might be enough, for me, if this continues for at least 10 years.
The problem is that if I publish my app, apps will go out of style; or the third world war will start :p

Ok, now it's late, I'm going to sleep, so I can stop dreaming and... I can continue to have my usual nightmares :p

[Pay no attention to all this, my two neurons have died :D]

Last edited:

susu

Licensed User
Longtime User
stop dreaming and start building then =) 9000$ / month is perfect
For me, $5000/month is enough. I did it in the past. My app got about 1,5 million downloads but only > 100,000 active users. It's a happy time when I went to the bank and came back home with a big bag of money. These guys in the bank were so curious why I received that much money each month. :rolleyes:

tufanv

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
For me, $5000/month is enough. I did it in the past. My app got about 1,5 million downloads but only > 100,000 active users. It's a happy time when I went to the bank and came back home with a big bag of money. These guys in the bank were so curious why I received that much money each month. :rolleyes:
I hope we can see those days =)

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I read that someone was able to earn $ 500 / day by displaying 70,000 Interstitial / day.

there ain't no right math for that.

it all depends whom (country wise) is watching the ads and if they click on it or not.

it's clear to me that euro "watchers" don't reward well by Google/Admob compared to US/Canada.

maybe that changes a little when having 100.000 active users and generate masses of ad traffic (which I don't have at all)

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
if you look at indie developers on google play who have had big successes, you'll see they made a lot of simple games before getting popular. That's the answer I think. B4A users like erel are doing that and that is also my plan.

I don't think you'll find any app that will make money for ten years though, Android and iphone didn't exist 10 years ago so there's no saying what will exist in ten years from now.

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
there ain't no right math for that.

it all depends whom (country wise) is watching the ads and if they click on it or not.

it's clear to me that euro "watchers" don't reward well by Google/Admob compared to US/Canada.

maybe that changes a little when having 100.000 active users and generate masses of ad traffic (which I don't have at all)

I'm not sure to understand well your answer (thanks to my perfect English :p).
I think you don't need the users click on ad, watching it is enough, if you have many active users (I'm thinking to Scrabble, as I wrote elsewhere).
Also, what should be the difference between "euro" and "US" watchers? If I publish an app, it will be downloaded from anywhere.
My "calculations" take in account a "fixed" (average) number of users online (I'm thinking to at least 100, max 400) at any time of the day (should I say "constantly"?) and this should generate tens of thousands of Interstitials displayed, which should be enough to earn some hundred dollars per day.

E' necessario un traduttore simultaneo perfetto :D (Please, use Google Translate :) [but replace "E'" with "è" or it will not translate well :(])

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
if you look at indie developers on google play who have had big successes, you'll see they made a lot of simple games before getting popular. That's the answer I think. B4A users like erel are doing that and that is also my plan.
I'm not sure to understand well your answer (thanks to my perfect English :p).

"before developers getting popular"? Or apps?

What Erel is doing? (I mean: I don't understand what you mean... as always :D).

I don't think you'll find any app that will make money for ten years though, Android and iphone didn't exist 10 years ago so there's no saying what will exist in ten years from now.
I agree for sure... unfortunately!

Last edited:

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Luca,

what I meant is...

there are a lot more advertisers in the US than companies in Belgium that would advertise through Google.

so it's more likely that they will have bigger budgets which might results in higher prices per clicks that they want to pay and that reflects to what you earn aswell if people clicked on it.

if the buget is limited you don't focus on a small countries like Belgium either.

so in the end what I get to see is either ads from a local telecom/internet provider company or ebay like site and global ads from big player companies or dating sites.

if you only get to see the same 5 ads all the time the chances that they keep clicking it are kind of non existing.

there would be a lot more variation if I would be in the US I guess.

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
there are a lot more advertisers in the US than companies in Belgium that would advertise through Google.
You cannot compare USA to Belgium; you should compare it to Europe! (U.S.E. :))

Also, if my app is installed by a Texan, "Texas Instruments" may want to put its advertising in my app :)

Again, I don't think clicks are so essential. For example, I can't seem to picture a poker player who during a game clicks on a Banner or Interstitial and leaves the table, losing everything (I mean: how many people click? 1 / 10,000?); so I think Zynga Poker earns "enough" displaying Interstitial, even if players do not click.

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
indeed, with garanteed 100K+ views/day you're safe with views only altho you'll earn more if some generated clicks aswell since someof the earning math is based on clicks/impressions.

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Well, unfortunately I am one who speaks (writes) too much and acts too little; in fact, even today I have not dedicated seconds to designing (unfortunately I'm stuck in this phase, which is more complicated compared to writing code).

...and fortunately Italian is not an international language! :p

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
As many of you know, I have in my mind a promising app for a long time (which I'll never be able to develop nor to publish, of course).

Nevertheless, I like to dream.

Every time I play Miniclip's 8 ball pool (web), at least 20,000 players are online (I've seen up to a maximum of 49,000). This is true whether Miniclip is not a liar :D.

So, let's say that in every moment of the day there are 30,000 players, on average.

Let's say that my app could get a tenth of that number because it would be created for Android, not for web. The number decreases to 3,000.

Let's say that my game is not as famous as Billiard, then we divide again for 10 and we reach 300. So, at any time of the day, there will be 300 players online (on average).

Let's say that each of them will see an Interstitial every 10 minutes. The Interstitials will be:
24 x (60 : 10) = 144 (also, there will be a Banner).
144 x 300 = 43,200 Interstitials / day.

43,200 : 70,000 x 500 = $ 308 / day (about 270 €).

Maybe those were better times, so we eliminate 20%. Remain $ 246 (215 €).

This could happen if the app was good and once it reached the maximum number of users (at least one year after publication, I think).

This might be enough, for me, if this continues for at least 10 years.
The problem is that if I publish my app, apps will go out of style; or the third world war will start :p

Ok, now it's late, I'm going to sleep, so I can stop dreaming and... I can continue to have my usual nightmares :p

[Pay no attention to all this, my two neurons have died :D]

I have a "dream app" in my mind for about 10 years now... I have started the coding and restarted over and over again...
My problem is the lack of graphics knowledge, and the "eye on the goal" gets difficult to maintain.

melonZgz

Licensed User
Longtime User
My advice here: work hard.
Focus on something realistic, something that you're sure you can accomplish (don't try to make another 8 Ball pool you alone, or you'll never finish it) and go for it. Start coding!!!
And also, and its my opinion, dont focus in only one app. There are very good aps with almost no users, and small and dumb apps with a lot of users.

melonZgz

Licensed User
Longtime User
This is not true. Before coding you have to think, a lot and well.

Yeah, of course.
For me, to develop a game, before start coding I have to do a lot of things:
First the idea, the concept.
Take a paper and a pencil and start drawing.
Research for graphics and resources.
Make a concept with photoshop-Gimp
change the whole graphics because i don't like how it looks
Repeat 2 previous steps many many times:D
Search forums, learn how to use some tools (like texture packer, map editor, audio editor, physics engine, libraries needed...)
And when I have everything ready I start coding a prototype.