Hi I'm new here and want to know if I'm in the right spot.

Lasix

Hi I'm new here. I use to program with flash action script. I used basic back about 35 years ago, so I'm not sure how much of it pertains, but I'm looking for a new platform since Adobe abandoned flash...

Here's what I'm trying to do.

The app needs to be uploaded to google play.

I'm a professor, and I'm looking to make study apps for my students, which would include a reading guide, long with some study questions.

The information can be packaged into the app, or it could be set to download the appropriate text files and populate based on variables (if that's possible).

Again, I'm new, and before digging too far into this language and IDE, I was looking for some more information.

I've been looking around the site for a beginner guide, and that thread says it's obsolite, and the other link to the alternate PDF states it's for advanced users... I have found 1 book B4A by Seagrove, Is this book still relevant? are there other books? I learn best by reading and dissecting and experimenting with code.

The large forum here makes me feel comfortable regarding the possibilities to produce good app/products, but I am concerned about how to find the beginning knowledge because of the link that would suggest the "older way" is obsolete.

Thank you for all in advance.

BillMeyer

Licensed User
Longtime User
Good Day Prof,

My response: YES - you are absolutely in the right place. You will find a wealth of information here and if one thinks out the box then you could do whatever you want with this software. You can write for Android, iOS, Desktops (Windows, Linux, Mac !!) and even use the Arduino boards to experiment even further.

You have the ability to create a user interface on Android or iOS and then feed the information from a server that you have created using B4J. You can connect to MySQL, MSSQL or NoSQL as your database engine with ease and even use a key:value server based in the cloud.

Please don't put too much emphasis on the Basic aspect - in this case, it is purely a good legible known language for greater things (and probably removed from the BASIC you knew) as it compiles to Java (and uses the native component of your device's OS) in the case of Android and to Objective C in the case of iOS.

Here you will meet Erel, the creator of this excellent software and several Expert members who will always answer your questions provided you give all the information pertaining to your problem.

So where do you start ? (You already have the project in mind - good start)

1. Watch all the training videos here: https://www.b4x.com/etp.html
2. Read Klaus' booklets: https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/b4x-documentation-booklets.88985/#content
3. Make sure you have all your licenses and software and all installed (Lengthy process on Android).
4. Follow @DonManfred - there is a wealth of information here as well, as well as some of the other experts you will encounter whilst browsing here.
5. Make friends with the Forum Search in the Top Right of this screen.

Keep in mind your target market. They have a variety of devices (screen sizes, memory, processing power, battery size etc) and then learn the tricks such as anchors, Designer layouts, permissions etc.

And finally, these are important
1. https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/forum-etiquette.97319/
2. https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/for-new-er-members-how-to-post-a-question-issue.96964/
3. https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/t...applications-signed-with-the-debug-key.26600/
4. https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/forums/tutorials-examples.27/

It might look daunting to a newbie - but it isn't really - so just dive in !!

and as @Peter Simpson would say:

Enjoy...

klaus

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Welcome!

I've been looking around the site for a beginner guide
Did you look at the second line in the B4A Beginner's Guide thread !? :)

This guide is obsolete ! It is no more updated.
Please use the B4X Booklets.

There is the link to the current B4X Booklets already suggested by Bill Meyer.

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Welcome to this great B4X community @Lasix

Your questions with some BASIC ;) answers

Q. I used basic back about 35 years ago, so I'm not sure how much of it pertains
B4X (B4A in your case) uses a lot of syntax taken from BASIC as you know it, but Anywhere software has turbocharged the syntax and updated it to make it more viable for today development platforms.

Q. The app needs to be uploaded to google play.
- Use B4A.

Q. I'm a professor, and I'm looking to make study apps for my students, which would include a reading guide, long with some study questions.
- Use B4A and search/ask on the forum.

Q. The information can be packaged into the app, or it could be set to download the appropriate text files and populate based on variables (if that's possible).
- There are many ways to accomplish this. You've mention both viable way but it completely depends on how much information you are giving to your pupils and if that information changes on a regular basis. If the information does change (which I doubt) then you can always download the information directly into the app from a server.

Again, I'm new, and before digging too far into this language and IDE, I was looking for some more information.

Q. I've been looking around the site for a beginner guide, and that thread says it's obsolite, and the other link to the alternate PDF states it's for advanced users... I have found 1 book B4A by Seagrove, Is this book still relevant? are there other books? I learn best by reading and dissecting and experimenting with code.
- Just like other development platforms, B4X is constantly being updated. You will find that Anywhere Software are constantly working to make developing applications using B4A, B4J, B4i and B4R easier for us developers.

- If you see on the forum that a library, some code etc etc etc is obsolete, then there is always an alternative to to that obsolete solution. Book wise there are a few books on the market, the basics of those books are probably still viable in one way or another, but I would recommend clicking on the very top of this page where it ways LEARN and watch the videos that you think might be relevant to you.

- @klaus has taken the time to create some fabulous documentations on how to learn to develop using the B4X platform of development tools. CLICK HERE to download the booklets, you will learn a lot from them.

Q. The large forum here makes me feel comfortable regarding the possibilities to produce good app/products, but I am concerned about how to find the beginning knowledge because of the link that would suggest the "older way" is obsolete.
- This forum is more like a large local friendly community of developers than your average internet forum. You will be hard pushed to find a friendlier forum (community) anywhere else on the internet. You will find that developers of all skill levels of programming/development are always willing and able to help you with your queries. I strongly suggest that you first use the forum search bar at the top of each page, if you can't find either code examples or a general answers to your query, you should then create a new question and your post will be replied to relatively quickly.

Enjoy...

BillMeyer

Licensed User
Longtime User
@Peter Simpson

Your questions with some BASIC ;) answers

Skerp !! (Google Translate - Afrikaans to English !!)

Geniet... (Same Thing as above)

Lasix

Welcome!

Did you look at the second line in the B4A Beginner's Guide thread !? :)

There is the link to the current B4X Booklets already suggested by Bill Meyer.
Thank you for link. Yes I used the search feature and followed the link but somehow downloaded the "B4A User Guide", not sure where that even came from, but that's what read: This guide is dedicated for more advanced users and treats more specific topics.

Not sure how that happened... but thank you for the redirection. I look forward to reading more on them tonight.

klaus

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

A User's Guide in pdf format is available here : www.b4x.com/android/files/UserGuide.zip

I'm almost sure that you clicked on the link in the third line in the B4A User's Guide thread.