How are you all coping?

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
They tend to manufacture the facts to suit themselves.

a few days ago a foto of a coroner in that region where it all started was going around on the internet.
there were several pallets of "ash pots" something like 150 per pallet delivered while there are no more deads as usual now?

even in Japan now that the Olympics are cancelled the numbers are going up aswell. "strange".

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Unfortunatley, I think that real figures are a lot higher than those we can read about. Millions are infected all around the world, but they (governments) can't tell because of the panic and the economic implications that such news could have on our lives.
Lower figures means they could, in a not so long time, claim the epidemic is almost over and we could go back to our jobs and daily activities. Yes, many others will die (and recover) but it will go unnnoticed, classified as any other common death cause as it was before the crisis.

Another point is that actual figures are not comparable between nations. Anyone has its own method of classification. There's who count positives only among those hospitalized, who counts the positive tests conducted here and there (e.g. among healthcare personnel only or among people still at work or among people showing clear sympthoms..). A more homogeneous counting could be offered by the ratio between analyzed swabs and positives, but even that index could be altered by several factors:
- who you take the swab to (heathcare staff is more likely to be positive than someone locked home since weeks)
- if the swab comes from a never tested before person or it is a repetition
- if the swab comes from an isolated rural area or a big town

Personally I look at the figures as an alarm about a risk. Even before covid we knew that leaving home we could meet a criminal, someone rude and aggressive, someone not respecting basic hygienic rules or even sick and infectious. Now we know the risk level is higher.

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Unfortunatley, I think that real figures are a lot higher than those we can read about. Millions are infected all around the world, but they (governments) can't tell because of the panic and the economic implications that such news could have on our lives.
Nobody can know how many people are really infected, it would be necessary to carry out tests on the whole population and at least twice for each person, after a short time. Impossible. So it is not the will of governments to hide this real data; on the contrary, they say that the real number can probably be up to 10 times what they provide.

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Here the situation is still very serious, almost nothing has changed. Well, that "almost nothing" convinced an our minister to allow parents with underage children to wander around the building in which they live.

Never seen such irresponsibility.

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Another point is that actual figures are not comparable between nations.

indeed. I read today that in Belgium any corona victim is counted. In Germany if a corona victim was a cancer patient it's noted as a cancer dead and not corona.
no wonder the figures are so low overthere.

rabbitBUSH

Licensed User
check the profile you will see where this is : (you will see some of this in another posting)
We went shopping here today, its day 6 here. for us this is a journey into the nearest town. this was interesting. very few masks here including in the pharmacy. every one is just calmly going about their business foraging for food and chemical breakfast. the line outside the supermarket stretched about 300m constantly for the hour that we stood in it (money in money out) , they let one person in at a time and never have more than 30 inside at a time. its quite well managed and people are well behaved although the line is managed by the supermarket's security provider. but if you believe human behaviour they observed a couple of people trying to jump the line and save 250m of travel over the next hour! so never mind they sent them to the back. except one who managed to convince them that the person she joined in the line was her daughter. others in the line said "no she isn't". i later observed the "daughter" inside with a different person. anyway these security guys walk along the line ensuring separation between people in the line (one innovator has a one metre ruler and uses that to keep people apart). i heard one person who thought people were too close together saying "...where is that guy?"

one has to remember that this is a country where in 1994 there were lines 500m+ to get to the voting booths. so we've been there before. in our town (and i know people in the health department of the local govt) we appear not to have positive cases more than one or two. our statistics are quoted on a province level not local level.

i guess we are holding thumbs that we are rural enough and off the beaten track so that this thing doesn't arrive big time. not that it hasn't or won't. the town is deserted but then it often is this way (in december) and when the students and school's learners are not here. this all sounds wonderful but really we understand and have great considerations for other countries where the exact opposite is underway. (except for american governmment, not the people, where, as we see it, political arrogance has done them no good)

rabbitBUSH

Licensed User
If you look closely on these maps you will see Taiwan is now part of China, as well as large portions of the South China Sea.
WELL they Did add to this island group to support the claim, after all :

china-island.png

17°53'52.18" N 112°56'32.58" E

Attachments

• china-island.png
    china-island.png
    269.7 KB · Views: 122

rabbitBUSH

Licensed User
Ive updated BANG and 're off . . . .
with some perspective at this point : but here it is as of today here :
1586123677941.png

what I really can't appreciate and get my brain to deal with is listening to TinTin last night on TV press conference : I guess he thinks there is a deal to be made here somewhere that will make this all go away - he just can't find what it is.... leave it to the governors of the states to deal with (including 8 of them doing apparently nothing) , that way i guess he can blame someone else in the end when a lot of americans are killed by this thing. he blamed obama for something or other again.