Android Question How do you retain your App users

FrostCodes

Licensed User
Hello everyone I need your advice on how I can retain my app users.
I have a mini good download of 1k users every week, but I lose back about 450 to 600 of them at the end of the week.
They love my app and haven't really uninstalled it as I log if the app is still active to my database but they just aren't engaging with it enough …

My app is an Educational app called Examina.
Every day, I send push notifications that deliver to some devices(maybe about 40% of them) as most don't use their devices regularly with internet access.

I have made the UX/UI good and I keep improving it but I need your advice on what you all do to keep your users.
Thanks!

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
It's already a miracle to get 1k downloads per week; most apps don't reach 1k downloads in their entire existence!

From the GP app page:
Examina prepares students writing JAMB, WAEC, NECO exams to pass in one sitting!

Once he passes the exam, the user has no more reason to use your app, right?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
It seems to me you made an app that your users really appreciate. I would be very careful with trying to game the users into interacting more. If you do that, I imagine some users would in fact interact more, but more would also uninstall and the ratings would sink somewhat. I think you should just realize that some apps aren't the type of app that users interact with all the time.

Take your knowledge from making this great app and find a new app and apply that knowledge there, and try to make that app in a category where users commonly interact more. An example I just came up with: Let's say you made a glorious Tetris clone. Apart from the standard game, each day you could have a random challenge (same for all users) where a board is pre-filled with a number of pieces. Each day could have highscore for how many points you managed for the challenge of the day. Some people would likely find it fun to do the daily Tetris challenge, and thus interact more.

Upvote 0

FrostCodes

Licensed User
It's already a miracle to get 1k downloads per week; most apps don't reach 1k downloads in their entire existence!
Wow, thanks :) I used to think I wasn't even doing well in terms of downloads but this makes me happy to read.

Once he passes the exam, the user has no more reason to use your app, right?

😅😅😅unfortunately, the app has 3 exams and 2 sub-exams, and these exams run from January to December every year.
They have to sit for at least 2 of those exams(if you are very brilliant). Personally, I visited a school and some do sit for up to 4 of them.
And Yes once you pass you don't need to use the app ever again but the next year the cycle begins again for a new set of students 😄

Upvote 0

FrostCodes

Licensed User
It seems to me you made an app that your users really appreciate. I would be very careful with trying to game the users into interacting more. If you do that, I imagine some users would in fact interact more, but more would also uninstall and the ratings would sink somewhat. I think you should just realize that some apps aren't the type of app that users interact with all the time.

Take your knowledge from making this great app and find a new app and apply that knowledge there, and try to make that app in a category where users commonly interact more. An example I just came up with: Let's say you made a glorious Tetris clone. Apart from the standard game, each day you could have a random challenge (same for all users) where a board is pre-filled with a number of pieces. Each day could have highscore for how many points you managed for the challenge of the day. Some people would likely find it fun to do the daily Tetris challenge, and thus interact more.
I am so grateful for this advice. Thanks!
The reason I wanted more engagement was I earn very little from it if they don't use the app (ads money) or if they use it some do pay to have full access to the app.
I was considering making another type of app also like a reading app that requires longer concentration that way I can earn more money as an indie developer.

You did mention making a game, to be honest, I have tried learning to make one with b4a but 😅, the type I wanted to make(a simple non-educational game) I just don't understand how to make such games or how they even work. Do you mind sharing some resources if you have any or if you have some source codes for sale that I can restyle I would really appreciate this thanks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I am so grateful for this advice. Thanks!
My pleasure. :)

The reason I wanted more engagement was I earn very little from it if they don't use the app (ads money) or if they use it some do pay to have full access to the app.
Yep, I guessed that was the reason. But as your users seem to love your app, and from what I can tell from the description, it is absolutely packed with info and tests, it seems to me that you should perhaps instead consider selling it for a fixed price. This seems so good that I imagine it's well worth somewhere between $19 and $49. I would problably be tempted to set the price to $39 and during the periods in the year when people start looking for this kind of app have a sale for three weeks at $19. (If you do this, your track-record with the app, the high ratings, will make this seem like a reasonable price I think.) Selling like this does also align with the fact that your users use the app for a time, and then they (sort of) get replaced by new users.

As for the game - sorry, no experience coding games since childhood. I do know there are lots of highly skilled people here in the forum that you probably could get very good help from. Go look in the Games sub-forum to see the people hanging out there. :)

Upvote 0

FrostCodes

Licensed User
My pleasure. :)

Yep, I guessed that was the reason. But as your users seem to love your app, and from what I can tell from the description, it is absolutely packed with info and tests, it seems to me that you should perhaps instead consider selling it for a fixed price. This seems so good that I imagine it's well worth somewhere between $19 and $49. I would problably be tempted to set the price to $39 and during the periods in the year when people start looking for this kind of app have a sale for three weeks at $19. (If you do this, your track-record with the app, the high ratings, will make this seem like a reasonable price I think.) Selling like this does also align with the fact that your users use the app for a time, and then they (sort of) get replaced by new users.

As for the game - sorry, no experience coding games since childhood. I do know there are lots of highly skilled people here in the forum that you probably could get very good help from. Go look in the Games sub-forum to see the people hanging out there. :)
I understand thanks I would see what can be done further to improve Monetization without troubling the users :)

Upvote 0

mcqueccu

Licensed User
Longtime User
I remembered when you released this app and you posted it on the forum about a year ago, I also downloaded it just because I love the work you put in the UI and the choice of Colors.

I think an app like this is not really meant for lifetime use. turnover for an app like this will be an exam period (yearly)
Someone probably in their final year in school about some few months may download the app to practice. After they have written their exam and completed school, that is the end. They may either remove it or not regularly use it.

Then the next badge of students comes around the following year, download, finish exams, uninstall /forget about the app.
But a good 50,000+ downloads for 1 year and few months old app is good download. Kudos

Upvote 0

FrostCodes

Licensed User
I remembered when you released this app and you posted it on the forum about a year ago, I also downloaded it just because I love the work you put in the UI and the choice of Colors.

I think an app like this is not really meant for lifetime use. turnover for an app like this will be an exam period (yearly)
Someone probably in their final year in school about some few months may download the app to practice. After they have written their exam and completed school, that is the end. They may either remove it or not regularly use it.

Then the next badge of students comes around the following year, download, finish exams, uninstall /forget about the app.
But a good 50,000+ downloads for 1 year and few months old app is good download. Kudos
😄 Thanks. Yes, you are correct my goal now is how I can get more market share and earn better with it.
Funny enough 95% of the downloads are organic maybe 1.2%-2 are social networks and the rest was the money I wasted on paid ads and gave up on that option 😂😂
I am happy also about the growth and community I built around it, I am looking to expand to Youtube and the rest as a way to keep the students in my ecosphere.

I really appreciate your opinion

Upvote 0