B4R Question How to debug program code?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amorosik

Expert
Licensed User
How do you go about debugging a program?
By 'debug' I mean:
- display program variables
- set breakpoints
- advance the code step-by-step

thetahsk

Licensed User
Longtime User
How do you go about debugging a program?
By 'debug' I mean:
- display program variables
- set breakpoints
- advance the code step-by-step
Goto in your Project Folder and select the Objects\src folder. Start Visual Studio with installed Visual Micro Plug-In. Start new project and import the code
src.ino from B4R. Compile with debug information and set your breakpoints. As you know the B4R toolchain generates C++ code. It's not easy to debug but
sometimes it helps.

Upvote 0

amorosik

Expert
Licensed User
Goto in your Project Folder and select the Objects\src folder. Start Visual Studio with installed Visual Micro Plug-In. Start new project and import the code
src.ino from B4R. Compile with debug information and set your breakpoints. As you know the B4R toolchain generates C++ code. It's not easy to debug but
sometimes it helps.

Yes, thanks, I know the Visual Studio + Visual Micro procedure
My question was about understanding how to debug using the B4R environment
What I wanted to say is that I see that with the other B4A and B4J environments it is possible to perform the classic debugging
I wanted to understand if it was I who could not find a way to do it even with B4R or if the development environment does not allow it

Upvote 0

hatzisn

Licensed User
Longtime User
Maybe Massimo Banzi heard us when we were discussing the need for a serious debugging system
Version 2.0 of original Arduino Ide, features the long-awaited LIVE DEBUGGER

๐Ÿฅณ๐Ÿคฉ๐Ÿคช๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜ฎ๐Ÿค‘๐Ÿฅฐ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ™ƒ๐Ÿ™ƒ๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿฅณ๐Ÿคฉ๐Ÿคฉ๐Ÿคฉ

That's great. Pitty for me that none of the boards that I have can work with it. Since it is based on the cli version, I suppose that @Erel can take advantage of it for the given boards (and the boards to come) in B4R to add Debug capabilities in B4R. I do not know about the others but I would be willing to pay a minor yearly fee (or a donation) for B4R if we could take advantage of such environment because the Log(".....") is not always the perfect way to debug.

Upvote 0

Daestrum

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
You can 'sort of' integrate the GDB debugger in the IDE, but it still needs a lot of faffing around to be useful - been trying it on an 8266 with a little wrapper for the GDBStub file.

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.