Android Question How to find an Image's Date Taken

ndnull

Licensed User
Longtime User
I need to find the date a picture was taken. I know this is supposed to be in the exif attributes and I tried JPegUtils library with no success (I believe because the image may have been to big?)

So here is the scenario. I can get the date a picture was taken in my application, because it uses the camera feature and I can just assume the date time. But another part of my application imports images from the gallery or folders, where they were place into the tablet via eyefi or other means from regular industry cameras. These images tend to be 5 megapixel or so in size. I have the image handling down fine, but I need a date time stamp of when these imported pictures were "taken" for presentation in reporting, which is an output from my servers. I would settle for the create date, if its carried over in the copy from the eyefi mobi card, but Im really after the taken date...

Any help would be appreciated.

ndnull

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you, this is actually where I started.

I figured out what I was missing.

I was using a file path that was not the actual file path but rather a "content:/" path returned by the gallery picker. Once I converted the path to actual, the utility could read the exif data stream from the actual image file.

I was confused because even without the correct path there was still a response from the jpegutil. I suppose it was that of the thumbnail in the "content:/{pathtoimage}" dataset, not the actual image...

Upvote 0