Android Question How to find and change WiFi access point for Android?

QSerg

Hi All, first post here so please bear with me. Sorry if it been discussed, but I spend few hours to search without any success. So if it been discussed before simply show me corresponding thread.

In environment where I work we have big warehouse with many access points. When one move inside naturally signal from some points became stronger and some weaker. However Android device does not like to change points unless signal completely vanishes. So two questions:

• How I can find out which access point I am connected to? I need AP’s NIC because SSID the same. Also I obviously need signal strength.
  • How I can disconnect and reconnect programmatically if signal strength from AP that I am connected to is below certain threshold? It would be by far much more intelligent to do survey of all access points and connect to one with strongest signal, but as brutal solution disconnect and reconnect will do.
Obviously I am happy to listen to any other solutions. But like to add that I installed WiFi Connection Manager and it does not work for me.

Thanks

calloatti

Licensed User
Let me guess, are you using Zebra TC21/26 or similar Zebra devices? The TC21 in particular is not very good at switching between access points with the same SSID.

We gave up and assigned a different SSID to each access point, and the operator switches manually if needed. We use an app called "IP Widget" to display info about the currently connected AP on the home screen.

Upvote 0

QSerg

Let me guess, are you using Zebra TC21/26 or similar Zebra devices? The TC21 in particular is not very good at switching between access points with the same SSID.

We gave up and assigned a different SSID to each access point, and the operator switches manually if needed. We use an app called "IP Widget" to display info about the currently connected AP on the home screen.
Thanks for input. It is not Zebra, it is Honeywell but I think all of them more or less the same. Supplier also mentioned that units have "lag" when shifting from one AP to another. In my situation I found easier solution - just switch WiFi off and then on again and it will connected to AP with highest signal strength in area. Problem only it does require operator interference that I like to avoid.

Upvote 0

QSerg

One more (sorry could not figure out how to edit or delete and re-post old post)
I tried different SSID and found that units behave by far better to jumping from one to another. After reprogramming all APs I will report here.

Thanks

Upvote 0

MicroDrie

Licensed User
we have big warehouse with many access points. When one move inside

Your challenge lies in the contradiction between the battery saving restrictions of the Android OS and the speed at which you move between the WiFi access points in the warehouse. Your WiFi service must perform a WiFi scan to detect a (stronger) WiFi access point. Different Android versions have different restrictions around WiFi. I do see possible solutions, but for that I need the OS version of your devices for a proof of concept. What is the OS version of your devices?

Upvote 0

QSerg

Your challenge lies in the contradiction between the battery saving restrictions of the Android OS and the speed at which you move between the WiFi access points in the warehouse. Your WiFi service must perform a WiFi scan to detect a (stronger) WiFi access point. Different Android versions have different restrictions around WiFi. I do see possible solutions, but for that I need the OS version of your devices for a proof of concept. What is the OS version of your devices?
Thanks for replay. I am going to vacancy this Sunday and will be back in two weeks and then I will let you know exact OS version. But FWIW units 5 years old or something like that.

Upvote 0

MicroDrie

Licensed User
Enjoy your holiday first, after which we will continue to solve your WiFi problem.

Upvote 0

calloatti

Licensed User
One more (sorry could not figure out how to edit or delete and re-post old post)
I tried different SSID and found that units behave by far better to jumping from one to another. After reprogramming all APs I will report here.

Thanks
Well that was what I implied but did not write explicitly, that the devices seem to be able to switch more smoothly when SSIDs are different than when you have a common SSID for all APs, good that you confirmed my own experience. In some fringe cases it has to be done manually, and yes, WiFi off/on also works in such cases

Upvote 0

QSerg

Follow up. Finally I have finalized my WiFi setup (pun intended :)) Basically I allocated to each WiFi antenna own SSID that has meaningful name tided to place. Firstly my scanners much happier jumping from SSID to SSID rather than from point to point on the same SSID and secondly it is much easier to reconnect to certain SSID rather than to particular antenna. Negatives - sometime SSID not shown and to show it up one need to switch off WiFi and switch it back on.
It still would be nice if one figure how I can disconnect and connect to given SSID programmatically.

Upvote 0