How to gain Motivation for a project

NJDude

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Motivation is very ethereal, but in my case to self-motivate I just have to "feel it", meaning, I have to be sure I'll enjoy designing/writing the project and give 110% but, all that can change in a heartbeat and dump the whole thing.

Motivation also dies when what you are doing becomes routine or there's nothing new or exciting .

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
@Alexander Stolte,
If you can't get motivated to create a new project then maybe you shouldn't be doing that project at all.

I believe that when you are motivated to do something, that's when you do your best work, otherwise the outcome of the work can suffer and will not be as good as it should be.

It really is that simple for me, oh yes and I also enjoy creating something new for people to use, I get a huge buzz out of it thus motivation comes really easy to me, especially as I'm always learning something new with every project that I created.

In life with hardware, software, tools, machinery etc most people are users, but we are creators and we create what people use on a daily basis.

Enjoy...

Last edited:

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I would be interested to know how you can motivate you. For your project or projects to always give 101% :cool:
I ask myself this question A LOT!
This is much more relevant if your income does NOT come from bespoke projects, but they could, once completed AND marketed, become a major source of income...
So I second this question, but add...
"When your life does not depend on it"

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I would be interested to know how you can motivate you. For your project or projects to always give 101% :cool:
I really don't know this "how to"; in fact I am always motivated at 0.0001... per thousand.

But I know very well, instead, what might demotivate "you" (me): publish an app that you like and get even... 5 installations (including yours) after many months of publication!

So, I prefer to play with my app but... I avoid doing it, because I get very high scores which demotivate other people to try :D

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
So I second this question, but add...
"When your life does not depend on it"
Coding for the fun and enjoyment of it and for learning new development techniques with every single project, to also help pass the time away (family permitting).

If someone is coding for the fun and enjoyment factor then you can't get much more motivated than that. Seeing the end result of hours, days, weeks or months of hard work can be exhilarating. If someone is coding for work then to me the motivation is simple, it pays the bills ;)

Just my 2 cents...

Last edited:

Alexander Stolte

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks guys :)

I've found that I had the best motivation where I had a routine in it. For example i go to the gym since 1 1/2 years, 13 hours per week, because i have a plan and a routine. (no joke)
Before the exam started I had a routine in creating AS Views and a routine on my big App project.

Now I have to get back into these routines.