Android Question How to predetermine the numeric keyboard in a Dialog?

Sergio Castellari

Licensed User
Hello people,

I have the following code that uses a B4XTable to 'load' NUMERIC values in some columns:
B4X:
'Proceso la carga...
   If column.Id = "Energía" Or column.Id = "Agua" Then
       InputTemplate.Text = value
       InputTemplate.lblTitle.Text = column.Id
       Wait For (Dialog.ShowTemplate(InputTemplate, "Aceptar", "", "Cancelar")) Complete (Result As Int)
       If Result = xui.DialogResponse_Positive Then

This code shows on screen a data entry dialog and the 'Full keyboard' ... so if you enter 'letters' it produces an error when recording the information as it expects them to be numbers.

Query:
1) How can I activate ONLY the numeric keypad?
2) or how you can 'control that Result is ONLY a numerical value and otherwise ... put ZERO or ask again

Regards,
Sergio

emexes

Expert
Licensed User
I don't know about q1 (although the ide tips-as-you-type auto-help might reveal an InputTemplate property to select the keyboard type).

For q2, you can use IsNumber to check whether a string can be cast/parsed to a number (well, a double - so watch out for large values):
upload_2019-7-12_11-16-43.png

so perhaps something like:
B4X:
Do While True
    Wait For (Dialog.ShowTemplate(InputTemplate, "Aceptar", "", "Cancelar")) Complete (Result As Int)
        If IsNumber(InputTemplate.Text) Then
            Exit 'Do Loop
        End If
    End If
Loop
which, if the user enters an invalid number, will reset the initial/default entry to value and ask 'em again. I'm not sure what should happen if the user chooses Cancelar, so I've left that for you to think about ;-)

Upvote 0

emexes

Expert
Licensed User
A slightly shadier way to check that something is a valid number might be:
B4X:
Try
    MyIntVariable = InputTemplate.Text

Catch
    Log("Nice try, no cigar - that ain't no number")

End Try
but I get a bit nervous intentionally doing stuff that will likely generate an error - feels like I'm inviting trouble into my program.

But it works when I test it, so... what could possibly go wrong?!?!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Another way to check for a numeric-only string could be by using regex. You could even check whether the value falls in a specific range.

Upvote 0

Sergio Castellari

Licensed User
Hello @emexes !!!

Thanks for your help!. Someone passed me a property that directly disables letters and ONLY allows positive numbers:

B4X:
If column.Id = "Energía" Or column.Id = "Agua" Then
       InputTemplate.ConfigureForNumbers(False, False) 'AllowDecimals, AllowNegative (Decimales,Negativos)    '<<<<<<<<

With this I work perfect!

Regards,
Sergio

Upvote 0