How to signal an anomaly

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi @Erel and all.

Today I found that B4i and B4A IDEs have different behavior for some code.
As specified in my post, that is not a bug, but it's not a Wish (or question) too. So, which is the proper way to contribute to improve our tools?
Posting here, in the Forum Discussion section?
While a post like this one could be at home here, the original one IMHO is not.

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
If it's not a bug or a wish for improvement, perhaps you could explain it in the tutorial section.

It is a particularity of the environment that is explained in a tutorial.. maybe...

Last edited:

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Ecxactly my point.
It's something related to B4i IDE, so it should go in that section, but where?
It's not a bug. It's not a wish. It's not a question.
I originally chose the one that looked closer specifying the it was not a bug. But since Erel closed the thread as inappropriate, it remained the doubt where to signal "anomalies" like that one.
I'm posting here for that reason. Learn how to comply with findings like that in order to help improve our tools.

Last edited:

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I just saw your question now. Static modules in android raise the event in main unlike the others which raise them inside.

the difference is related to the operating system and the way code modules from framework are created

Reactions: udg

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
You (WE) shouldn't rush to report something in the bug forum unless you are absolutely certain that you have found a bug.

This is because the more threads there are in that forum, the more guests will suspect that the tool is unstable and we know it is not.

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
However speaking of technical aspects, I noticed it when I created the cross-platform version of HttpServer, I was thinking of creating a static module for managing the various connections and I realized that in b4a it didn't seem to raise the events. Then I noticed that he lifted them into main, so now I just consider it an extension of main

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
The answer is simple:
You should post it in the tutorials or the code snippets forums.

This is really not a bug. There are technical reasons behind this limitation and it won't change. It is also documented in several places and you will notice that I mostly discourage from using static modules. Classes should be preferred in most cases.

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you Erel.
We all agree that it was not a bug. I clearly stated it as the first sentence of my original post.
Maybe a code snippet it's the way to go. That way a few lines would suffice to highlight the difference between enviroments.

BTW, that particular static module was where all my DB related subs were (traditionally) stored. Converting it to a class will take no time; there's nothing special in it, just functions called from Activities (old programs) and B4xPages (new programs).
It remained behind only because a simple copy&paste from an eralier app was the quickest way to start. After converting, next copy&paste will have a class instead of a code module.
Same project starting time, better set up :)

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I have noticed this behavior before too.

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
@aeric : my old static module was really simple (a few sub executing SELECTs and a few more using DbUtils functions).
My finding was due to the fact I was modifying, while in B4i IDE, a sub in order to use WAIT FOR, then switched to B4A IDE and read the error which didn't appear in the first enviroment.
Nowadays using B4xPages, Wait For and all the newer stuff is so natural that when you open old projects you not always focus on the facts that they are..old.

Anyway, at least in my case, switching to a class and instatiate it wherever it's needed is a matter of minutes, so everything is fine.