I almost bricked my PC!

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Chapter 1

Early this morning, I decided to change my Windows theme to a custom one.
Unfortunately, since Microsoft doesn't let you use any unauthorized themes, I had to use a hack that allows me to do so. Just in case, I created a restore point.

I then proceeded to download several different themes from DeviantArt, awesome.
When I thought everything was going well, changing my theme to "Numix Dark" completely bricked the taskbar and most of the functions of my explorer.exe.

The only way I had to run programs was by creating shortcuts on the desktop, but even doing so, most programs didn't work, such as Chrome, or Theme Settings.

Thank God cmd.exe worked. I managed to open taskman.exe and have some control over my PC. Explorer.exe was in a permanent state of "Not responding...".
With some effort I finally managed to open System Restore but... it crashed!

Oh shit, oh shit, oh shit!!! You can imagine my despair...

I tried to restart the computer and hit F8 (also Shift-F8), but it doesn't work with Windows 10 anymore.
The shutdown command in cmd.exe wouldn't work as well...

What to do now? How to get into Safe-Mode?

Last edited:

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Chapter 2

Seeing my options so limited, I started to imagine the worst case scenario of reinstalling Windows.
I mean... what can you do when System Restore is broken? I even tried sfc.exe as well, but without success.

Then it hit me!

I noticed that the system behaves normally before user logon.
If I could restart my PC from the logon screen I would be able to enter safe-mode.
The problem now was, as I had no user password set, I couldn't stop at such screen.

The solution!
Somehow I managed to change my user settings and establish a password.
I restarted the PC and at the logon screen, I was now able to Shift + Icon "Restart" and enter the troubleshooting mode.

Alright, let's try System Restore again.

Another reboot, system restore opened before Windows et voilá!!!

Everything's back to normal! :)

Thanks for reading...

Last edited:

KMatle

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

An Schi

Licensed User
I prefer a clone over a restore-point. If something like in your case happens, you just clone your disk back.
Have a look at clonezilla for example.

NJDude

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I prefer a clone over a restore-point. If something like in your case happens, you just clone your disk back.
Have a look at clonezilla for example.
Give this man a cookie!!!, this is the best way, hands down.

Restore points? Bah! HUMBUG!!.

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Have you noticed that in these cases you sweat even though it is winter? :D

Shit + Icon "Restart"
Lapsus or deliberately wrote? :D

I created a restore point
This feature has stopped working after a few months, in my PC :( (Win7)

I tried to restart the computer and hit F8 (also Shift-F8), but it doesn't work with Windows 10 anymore.
Probably the key combination has been changed. Have you searched?

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I don't know for 10 as I never tried it but most install DVDs have their possibility to enter command line or system restore.

with ERD Commander (boot CD) you could do system restores aswell as it is a windows that boots from CD and ties to your own windows.

thedesolatesoul

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User